2000 Blaster will only idle

I see no mention of a leak down test being done, do one before you pull the motor apart to try to diagnose why you have lost compression.

It is normal for a little fuel to be spit out of the back of the carb, that is the reason why a paper air filter should not be fitted directly to the carb throat.

When you pull the pipe off to do the leak test, get a look at the piston/rings up the exhaust port.

To further my education... what is a "Leak Down Test" and how is it accomplished?

I have the pipes off and have visually inspected the rings through the exhaust hole. I have also had the head off and inspected the piston top and cylinder walls. Everything appears in order and no visible scoreing can be seen in the cylinder...

Any advice on top end brand or kit? I'll have it bored the next size up, whatever that is..

Attachments

• P7159009.jpg
    P7159009.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 244
I've purchased a new piston and am sending the cylinder for bore when it gets here.
I'm still skeptical of it fixing the idle problem but, I'll know when I get things back together.
Thank's Blaaster for the video and instructions for leak down. The only problem I had was sealing the exhaust port. I cut a large super-ball in half and stuck the half-dome into the exhaust hole, clamping it down with a plywood flange and the exhaust nuts. Without having an extra exhaust flange handy, this sealed things up nicely.

Reactions: Blaaster
I've purchased a new piston and am sending the cylinder for bore when it gets here.
I'm still skeptical of it fixing the idle problem but, I'll know when I get things back together.
Thank's Blaaster for the video and instructions for leak down. The only problem I had was sealing the exhaust port. I cut a large super-ball in half and stuck the half-dome into the exhaust hole, clamping it down with a plywood flange and the exhaust nuts. Without having an extra exhaust flange handy, this sealed things up nicely.

Neat, green for that idea!

Blaster is all back together and still has the exact same problem. Starts, idles but has absolutely no throttle response.
I have a new pulasr module comming but skeptical it could be the issue.
What about the voltage reg. Any way it could cause this?

I'm thinking about connecting wires so it runs straight off the mag and begin eliminating sources that way. Assuming of course this is electrical...

This engine is kicking my A$$!!

Blaster is all back together and still has the exact same problem. Starts, idles but has absolutely no throttle response.
I have a new pulasr module comming but skeptical it could be the issue.
What about the voltage reg. Any way it could cause this?

I'm thinking about connecting wires so it runs straight off the mag and begin eliminating sources that way. Assuming of course this is electrical...

This engine is kicking my A$$!!

Voltage circuit is a separate circuit and can be completely removed without affecting ignition circuit.
Baffling.
Does the TORS system shut down to an idle or does it kill completely guys?

Voltage circuit is a separate circuit and can be completely removed without affecting ignition circuit.
Baffling.
Does the TORS system shut down to an idle or does it kill completely guys?

TORS has been completely removed in step #1.

It's like there is a limiter preventing rpm change.

Without reading the 2 previous pages of this thread, I'd recommend opening the throttle housing and checking out what's goin on in there, perhaps your throttle cable is stretched. Riding I'm freezing temperatures when your cables are frozen or simply a lot of use over time would cause the throttle cable to stretch and not have enough pull that's required. Just some thoughts !

what cdi box did you get? when i put the rick's one on it wont rev past idle either.

put my stock one on and itl spin like crazy. not sure why

Hmm. Now you have me suspicious.
I bought a RICK'S HOT SHOT CDI YAMAHA ATV YFS 200 BLASTER 1991-2002

Could it be this has been the issue all along? The old CDI box does the same. Suspecting it to be bad, I purchased this replacement on Ebay. Damn thing cost $40! But if the consensus is that this is the likely culprit, I'll gladly purchase another... genuine replacement part this time tho.

not the problem but you should trash that fuel filter, it could be old and clogged...

Fuel flows liberally through the filter. I'm still going to eliminate it tho per your suggestion. Dont need any other issues exasperating this issue.

Hmm. Now you have me suspicious.
I bought a RICK'S HOT SHOT CDI YAMAHA ATV YFS 200 BLASTER 1991-2002

Could it be this has been the issue all along? The old CDI box does the same. Suspecting it to be bad, I purchased this replacement on Ebay. Damn thing cost $40! But if the consensus is that this is the likely culprit, I'll gladly purchase another... genuine replacement part this time tho.

heres why i bought it. no spark issue and replaced everything. found it was a backwards stator wire. tried checking for spark so it COULD have fried the ricks box.

fixed stator wire n fires right up. but i really dont think i could fry a box that easily. with the ricks it idles fine but wont do anything else to save a life

try a stock box and see what happens i am as stumped as you why it wont let it rev. i know it lets the rev limiter up and advances the timing a tich but why it doesnt work who knows

Without reading the 2 previous pages of this thread, I'd recommend opening the throttle housing and checking out what's goin on in there, perhaps your throttle cable is stretched. Riding I'm freezing temperatures when your cables are frozen or simply a lot of use over time would cause the throttle cable to stretch and not have enough pull that's required. Just some thoughts !

Carb, slide and connecting linkage have all been checked multiple times. Rear plastic w/ air box is off and we can see into the carb and watch the slide. I really wish this was what the problem was as it would have been fixed long ago...
Thanks for the thoughts tho.

Hold the beerz.. oops,,, too late I think.

CDI box #3 has been obtained and the results are unchanged.
I'm sure the issue, when found, will be something stupid that I should have discovered way, way earlier. I'm anxious for that to occur so I can kick my own butt and the grandkid can ride again.
Until then, the saga continues. I'm going to un-hook all but the essentials for the engine to run and give that a go.
At least the top end is done,... Now it needs broken in!

im not sure if anyone has said this, but my brothers had the same problem, we took it in after many hours of trying things, and it ended up being the parking brake sensor wires had come lose so it thought the parking brake was on so it wouldnt do anything more than idle.

hope this helps solve ur problem

Eureka! I:I

Finally, I’ve located the issue and the Blaster runs. Grandson and I have spent the evening and into the night putting parts back onto it. He’s a happy camper! :D

Recall I predicted it would be something stupid and I’d kick myself for not finding much earlier? Well, as a last ditch effort, I unplugged the kill switch / light dimmer and kicked it. Lo and behold, music sprang forth as she fired up and responded to every flick of the throttle. :eek:

The reason I hadn’t tried unhooking this earlier is that the kill switch had been working. That is, when it would only idle, flipping the switch off, killed the engine as it should. So I had reasoned that it was working properly and did not bother investigating into it any further.

So, he’s got a new top end, and several new electrical components. I’m glad to have removed the TORS. Reading through the posts here it wasn’t a question of if, but when that was going to bite me.

Having the Blaster up on the stand scratching my head over the engine issue also allowed me to work on other areas and fix some things that needed attention. Once I replace the switches he should be good to go, and go he will! :p

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions and ideas. There is great value in having this much information in one spot. I’m hooked and will return often in search of more info or, to help some other poor schmuck who cant get his Blaster to do more than idle… B)