2000 blaster bogging and dying at full throttle

adam whitfield

Jun 17, 2016
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and blasters. I recently purchased a 2000 Yamaha blaster, when I got it I put it back together, rebuilt the top end, put a new woodruff key in, new clutch and brake cable, and a few other things. I finally got it to crank and run today, I was able to drive it around the yard. It runs fine at low throttle but at full throttle it bogs and tries to die. Tors is deleted, I'm thinking the carb may be flooding because the overflow tube has a little fuel coming out of it and my chain had fuel on it after riding.. Is the float sticking ? Reeds bad? Or what I haven't had a chance to look at carb yet. Please help me out y'all, I'm so close to getting this thing running perfect lol

Take the carb off and give it a good cleaning and to see what jets are in there now . Set the float to 21mm . Keep the stock pilot jet and start with the air screw at 1.5 turns . What pipe you have ?...aftermarket filter or not ? Air box lid on or off ? Running pre-mix or still oil injected ? Riding elevation ? Then we can help you with a start on the main Jet . Check the reeds for open gaps or chips in them when you take the carb off

Take the carb off and give it a good cleaning and to see what jets are in there now . Set the float to 21mm . Keep the stock pilot jet and start with the air screw at 1.5 turns . What pipe you have ?...aftermarket filter or not ? Air box lid on or off ? Running pre-mix or still oil injected ? Riding elevation ? Then we can help you with a start on the main Jet . Check the reeds for open gaps or chips in them when you take the carb off
I have a fmf fatty pipe, aftermarket pre oiled filter, air box lid is off, I pre mix the fuel 32:1. And what do you mean by riding elevation?

Elevation above sea level where you live and ride . Start with a 280-300 main and do a plug chop
Oh haha that's what I thought you meant, I'm about 300ft above sea level, I'm in Florida. And I'm a little new to these things so you will have to explain to me what a plug chop is please

With your setup I'll bet a 280 will be darn close, FMF recommends a 260 @ sea level 70* , everything else stock.
You've added filter and no lid.

As mentioned, leakdown test is recommended and you MUST retorque cylinder and head after a couple heat cycles !!

I got a buck says that it is a lean bog . Either from lean jetting or an air leak. I strongly suggest NOT riding (even a little) until you get it sorted out.

Ok Guys so I took the old carb off and it was shot so I bought a new one, I also noticed the intake bolts were stripped out. So I replaced those, after putting the new carb on and replacing the bolts. I started it up and well now it back fires bad and still bogs at full throttle. I noticed it had no exhaust header gasket so I've ordered one. Could a missing exhaust header gasket cause this problem? Or if not what could, I'm running out of ideas