1999 Blaster wont Idle, rev up. Need Help

Blaster fool8

Jan 30, 2012
St.louis
Hi, I have a 1999 yamaha blaster hasnt been broken in yet, and i finally gotten to start but rev up like pass 1500 rpm and sounds like its hiting a rev limiter. Ive try cleaning carb, doing all the test in the manual. The fourwheeler and engine has been completely rebuild The engine has a new Viitos +3mm Stroker. I ported intake and exaust, Boyeson reeds,new clutch, New flywheel in, new stator, I rebuild the wiring harness my self, Brand new coil. polish the head because the prev owner let the ring come off and make little marks in the head. Cylinder was bored and horn 68mm wisco piston, fmf gold series fatty pipe and silencer. Compression test was 160-180 all i remember that it was high compression

After thinking about it for ever i decide to post on forum, Im going to try to get leak dect even though i really hope it isnt.. Also does anyone know what jets i should use with these mod and how do you figure out which ones to use.
Thanks

Last edited:
its been gone for ages, all tors is gone, and oil injection is gone. I thought i added that in haha i guess i didnt. tors cap has been eliminated only thing is left is the three wire module which isnt connected.

Last edited:
What octane fuel are you using?? What's timing set at ? Are you running the spacer plate under cylinder. ??
Might want to read up on how to do a squish test.

reg 87 should i go 93? yes im using the spacer plate. No the stator is aftermart. I ohmed the stator all within specs. Wouldn't my timming be 0 for factory spec? Am i wrong does one of these mods affect timming i thought because of the spacer plate it would be fine
I thought it sounded like the timming was off and was hitting a rev limiter.

Last edited:
reg 87 should i go 93? yes im using the spacer plate. No the stator is aftermart. I ohmed the stator all within specs. Wouldn't my timming be 0 for factory spec? Am i wrong does one of these mods affect timming i thought because of the spacer plate it would be fine
I thought it sounded like the timming was off and was hitting a rev limiter.
was there something wrong with the OEM stator? Aftermarket stators are notorious of being absolute garbage. Even when they ohm in spec they still are garbage.

Well ive be fighting this battle for years, it drove me crazy, i think i do remember breaking the wiring on the copper coil. Its been a long time ago about my sophmore year of hs and im 21 now. This is the farther ive ever gotton to start after i rebuilt it 2 times. See this project was something to keep my mind off of all the stuff i was going through. The reason why it needed to be rebuild was because it had no rings piston had aton of dents in it, groves down the skirt and so did the head and it was 89 compressing. It does have a very good blue snap spark which i know from automotive a good spark is a blue snap. I have gotten alot smarter than i was years ago. But then again my father never helped so i was alone.

Sorry for all the edits i have a learning disability

Last edited:
89 is very low compression. You're probably going to have to get that cylinder bored for a new piston.

89 is very low compression. You're probably going to have to get that cylinder bored for a new piston.
Ive already did that. This is after all it. After I watched ken o connor port exhaust, i ported mine and polish very smooth, Look up on good some pictures of blasters that had their intake port did a milded-agressive port job didnt keep it too rough but enough to allow for air/fuel mixture. had it taken to get bored and honed to its final max bore spec which i think is 68mm correct me if im wrong. Wisco piston +3mm stroker new clutch..

As to jetting, what do you have now? Go to FMF website and see what they recommend. I think it's around a 280 main depending on other factors such as porting and air filter.

Actually your symptoms are classical SHIZZ stator. Runs and idles fine but won't rev. Do a search if you doubt it.