1992 LT250R cuts out in fifth and sixth gear

dygz21

Jul 21, 2009
Okay so I had a broken piston, got my cylinder checked out and honed, most of the damage was to the head, which was cut .030 to take out all the divits.

After I got it back I put the new piston and rings in as the bearings and seals seemed fine. It started the second kick (first kick the spark plug wire was not completely connected). Took it for a ride and it ran great better throttle response, easier wheelies, and great snap and sound. But when I open it up across my farm and try and shift through all gears it pulls hard until you shift into fifth and sixth. At this point it starts popping like it isn't getting fuel and then gives a big puff of smoke that smells like regular oil being burnt. After I rode it and examined it some this happened every time so I tore it apart again and put a new seal on the clutch side of the crank. Still the problem persists. Any ideas? My baby has been down for awhile now and I really want to ride it. Tired of the other toys.

Thank you for your help.

ya my blaster had the same problem the powerband would kick on and once i hit 5th gear it would start spuddering come to find out it was the spark plug put a new one in and never had that problem again

Thanks for the input, I will try that! I have had that happen on another two stroke before, can't believe I didn't think of it this time!