1986 LT250R Crank Seal??

lukewozniak2000

Jan 8, 2011
UP NORTH
My LT is burning tranny oil so I figure it is a bad crank seal. It runs like crap right now. It almost seems like the jetting is too rich. So I bought a Seal Kit but would like to know if there is any other way it could be burning tranny oil.

Any Sugestions??
Thanks

The most likely way to burn transmission fluid is through the crank seal, it's a moving part and the rubber can go bad and simply fail. Damage throughout the years on either the case sealing surface or crank sealing surface is also likely causing a shortened life in the seal itself.

There is also the possibility that the case is leaking between the halves. Some portion of the crankcase is exposed to transmission fluid and the only thing holding it back is the case sealant. It's not very likely that it will start leaking out of nowhere but much more likely on cases which were just put together and the sealant either didn't take the case halves (because of contamination or poor sealant technique).

The best way to diagnose the problem is to remove the clutch case and primary drive gear and do a leak down check. Once you've confirmed you are losing pressure, you can spray the seal lip with soapy water. If it bubbles out of the seal itself, obviously you need to replace the seal. If it doesn't bubble out of the seal but you're still losing pressure, it's possible the cases are leaking.

ok. And if the cases are not sealed properly then i just have to re-seal the cases?? And as far as running crappy, I think that the motor is sucking in tranny fluid from somewhere, thats why it is running crappy. It burning so much oil that it is spraying out of every possible opening...... I think that is why it is all doggy on the mid-top end.....?

You'll have to get the engine to stop devouring the transmission fluid before you can address possible jetting problems.

You'll have to split the cases and reseal them. It's a bit invovled but nothing someone with some mechanicing skills, a service manual, and a few special tools cannot handle.

ok. but what i mean about it running bad is can the bad crank seal affect how it runs?? Cause it smokes alot and only runs bad when i get on the throttle. That is when it starts to spray tranny oil...?

just stop running premix gas, you have invented a new oil injector lol.

no but really fix that seal. also look to fix if the cases are cracked both on the outside and internal.