1978 Triumph piston rings

Wheels

Dec 6, 2012
Washington
A little background:
My coworker and I have been doing a ground up resto-mod on a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 that had been sitting for 10-20 years with an ignition failure. After replacing the CDI and rebuilding the carbs we got the bike running.
o57zok.jpg

Next it was stripped down to bare frame for powder coating, paint, chrome and customization. While we were at it we we disassembled the engine to replace any out of spec. parts.
1in9qp.jpg

It turns out that the engine was rebuilt at some point and has 10 over Hepolite pistons/bores that look good and are in spec.
2rdf3mh.jpg

2j662jn.jpg

For the sake of performance and economy I would like to do a quick hone and replace the rings but herein lies the problem. After half a dozen e-mails to the top Triumph authorities in London it appears that none of them have seen +10 rings in nearly 30 years. Here is one of the e-mails:

"We no longer have stock on .010 rings. The 2 possibilities would be to file the .020 rings to .012” or larger end gap or fit standard rings.
A lot of people would shun me for that remark but end gap on unworn rings are not as much of an issue as end gap on worn rings.
Hepolite have tested engines with .012 gap and have increased the gap up to .060 with no difference in oil consumption as the ring is mostly in the ring groove so therefore only a tiny bit of the gap is exposed.
Sorry to run on like this but either of these options are viable."

My other two options are to reuse the rings that have been in the bike since the Reagan administration or punch the bores out to +20, buy an expensive set of pistons and kill my budget.

Sorry for the novel, what do you guys think I should do?

Do the rings have any rust on them? Bores? How do the bores look? Glazed, scratches? How do they measure for trueness? How many miles are on bike?

If you decide to reuse them but take them off piston for cleaning, take notes on any markings on which side is up and which piston/rings go in which cylinder.

If everything looks/checks ok I would use them over wrong sized rings in the bores.

That, or like any project the budget just got bigger.

I say put it back together and run it. Unless it smokes like a 2s or doesn't start easy, it's good to go.

Do the rings have any rust on them? Bores? How do the bores look? Glazed, scratches? How do they measure for trueness? How many miles are on bike?

If you decide to reuse them but take them off piston for cleaning, take notes on any markings on which side is up and which piston/rings go in which cylinder.

If everything looks/checks ok I would use them over wrong sized rings in the bores.

That, or like any project the budget just got bigger.

I say put it back together and run it. Unless it smokes like a 2s or doesn't start easy, it's good to go.

The bores look really good, no scratches or serious wear just a little bit of glaze I wanted to break with a hone. My guess is ~10 k on the pistons but it's hard to say because the original owner couldn't remember the exact history of the bike and there is nearly 30k on the clock. I think I'm going to take your guys' advice and just leave well enough alone. I'll be sure to have a pro test the run out of the cylinders because that is beyond the capabilities of the tools I own. The bike ran well before and if it loses compression I can do the top end with the engine in the bike pretty easily. Thanks for your input! I:I

Providing the rings are not too worn, they can be reused.

Bear in mind that it is advisable to hone the cylinders fully to allow the old rings to bed in, as they most certainly will not go back into the same locations.

Id be on the phone with wiseco and see what they got thats comprable to the correct rings if the origionals are unavailable. keep us posted it's cool to see non blaster stuff every once and a while.

Thanks AWK. Pistons/rings aren't hard to find for this bike but I'm trying to save money avoiding a re-bore because these one looks usable. The +10 is like the white buffalo of pistons because according to Norman-Hyde (something akin to the Wiseco of Triumph engines) "Hepolite pistons were sold to Triumph as spare parts in sizes that were not reproduced when Hepolite sold direct to the motorcycle market."

BUUUUUUTT imagine my luck: after months of searching the globe my coworker fond these 3 hours from where we live: 71-3686 TRIUMPH T-140 750 8 1/2 TO 1 PISTON SET RINGS CIRCLIPS 10 OVER | eBay I:I

Time to get the bores checked asap and jump on this deal before somebody else finds it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ruairiy I might take you up on that some day. My coworker got in touch with the shop in Oregon and they have everything needed to get the engine back in top shape including a machine shop. Upgraded valves and tappets, a high performance exhaust cam, and getting the pistons/bores sorted should come in under $500. My coworker is going to head to the shop in a couple weeks to drop everything off and get the ball rolling, I'll keep you guys posted with updates.

glad ya found a connection for the parts/work !
definately get us lots of pics along the way,
very cool project !!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this thread. The top end came back from Portland last week:
a2artl.jpg

Pistons were good so they got cleaned up with new rings and the bores got honed.
2m68jn5.jpg

Upgraded valves were installed and a n.o.s. performance exhaust cam was sourced. Everything was about $600 shipped.
The bottom end has been disassembled and needs to be cleaned/inspected + a couple $100 bearings. The frame needs to go to the powder coater and hopefully the assembly phase will be starting soon.
30xeons.jpg

2l0y0l.jpg

2ut56gy.jpg

Nobody stepped up to loan me that obscure over-priced tool so a little bit of scrap metal fabrication was in order:
33coxac.jpg

It's a good thing we tore this motor down all the way, one of the main bearings turned out to be pretty shot.
fbwd34.jpg

With the added power, reduced weight and suspension upgrades this bike should handle really well and be fast enough to embarrass some Harleys. The bike is literally in 1000 pieces right now but I will post pics as it all starts to come together.

Hello everyone,
It's been a long time but I thought I'd post an update on here:
We finally finished this thing and it's on the road in WA when the weather permits. Most of this bike was done in a small shop by us without prior paint, carbon fiber,exhaust fabrication or leather work experience. We learned a lot along the way and ended up with a pretty fast bike.

Here is the frame fresh from the powder coater
10959750_10152764909306559_3385186816872863735_n.jpg

Excel wheels custom drilled and built by The Wheelmaster in Puyallup, Wa. The owner of this shop does excellent work and has decades of racing history plastered throughout his garage.
10169307_10152896664316559_5911809399017118614_n.jpg

Hand laid carbon fiber fenders before shaping and paint:
10644874_10152539157681559_1986182030477029650_n.jpg

Mock up:
11665519_10153095262996559_1132047803467116761_n.jpg

Paint:
11760130_10153163170161559_1627332491476716180_n.jpg

Completion:
12032953_10153286195286559_764032781047773927_n.jpg

The bike is now 50+ pounds lighter than stock and has countless upgrades to nearly every part of the bike.
11935569_10153263414471559_6718127118348021596_n.jpg

Reactions: pudvah and jimmu
That bike looks good. Keep an eye on the frame. The oil in back bone frames have a tendency to crack. My dad was into triumphs and in a few clubs prior to his passing. Those year bikes are shunned in the die hard British bike clubs because of the frame failures. Just an fyi