14/40 gearing with 18 inch tires

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
Does anyone run 14/40 with an 18 inch tire. I currently have 13/40 with a 20 inch tire. Are these gearings similiar.

Yeah dont get 18s. I had 18s with 14/40 gearing at one point and hated it. Way to slow and i got hung up on every friken rut in the trails and pits. Stick with 20s and 14/40 gearing.

i just got 18' holeshots and i like them more than the 20' i had on it before them. i also have 14/38 gearing and i love it i still lift the tires every time i shift and the top speed is so much faster. i would not recomend doing this to a stock blaster cause it would loose to much bottom end. remember there are 3 factors affecting top speed and accerlation as far as gearing goes, front sprocket, rear sprocket and tire size.

bigger front sprocket=more top speed,less bottom end
smaller front sprocket=more bottom end,less top speed

bigger rear sprocket=more bottom end,less top speed
smaller rear sprocket=less bottom end,more top speed

smaler tires=faster accerlation, lower top speed
bigger tires=,higher top speed, faster accerlation

ps.- diffrent gearing is used for diffrent things,ex- if you want to drag race your gearing would be diffrent than if you wanted to trail ride. for a stock blaster 14/40 with 18" tires is a good ratio.

I already have the tires. I got them for $70 shipped from ebay. Im not really worried about ground clearance as much as top speed. Should I go to a 15 tooth front sprocket, and if I did what other machines 15 tooth sprocket will fit a blaster. All I see for the blaster is 13 and 14 tooth sprockets.

thats why you shouldnt get a 15, first off they dont make them or so you've seen, second of that will be way to much topend. two strokes are already bad there, why kill it?

I have 13/40 with 20 inch tires now and it seems to go through gears really quick. Its great for on the trails, but when I ride on train tracks or wide open areas, or raods, It has absolutely no top speed.

yes, but adding a 15 will give you a little more top end then youre bargaining for (well i think). try 14/40 thats what everyone else seems to be running

yea if anything do what i did and go with a 14 front and if you really want to go fast get a smaller rear sprocket like a 38 tooth cause that what i have and it rips

I have a 14/40 with 18inch. It is neat. The bike snorts pretty good but winds out almost too quick. Always shifting. Looks cool. Clearance is an issue to some, just depends on where you ride. It all depends on the person and where you ride or what you do. Just a cool combo to try for a while.

Ya I still have the stock 13/40..Just got my 14 tooth front sprocket and getting ready to slap it on..I live in Florida and ride in a lot of sugar sand..I currently run 18 rear holeshots but thinking of going to a 20" rear just for a little xtra clearance..The timing advance is a must do but it leaned the bike out so I had to go up to the next size jet and removed the lid on the airbox..That did the trick..Definately made a differance with a much snappier throttle and increased torque and topend..Cant wait to make those changes..LOL Kurt