02 Blaster bogs at top end

Jaycee187

Oct 29, 2014
What's up guys. I have a 2002 blaster that's at least .40 over w/ Wiseco piston, full FMF exhaust, Dynojet kit with 360 main jet, open airbox w/ K&N filter, new Boyesen reeds, new coil, new plug. I got it to start and idle, but under full throttle it bogs and has no top end. I put new gas, cleaned petcock, cleaned carb, still bogs. Driving me crazy. I've also tried adjusting the air/fuel screw. Nothing changed. Funny thing is, if I put petcock almost off it runs MINT until it runs out of fuel. Any help?

I would be surprized that the jet is a #360 coming from a kit.
It could be any size around the mark if it is not a genuine jet!

#360 seems a little big for your mods as well.

Running well with the fuel turned off says to me that it could be flooding!

Set the float level!

Plug chop to confirm jetting.

Plug
I would be surprized that the jet is a #360 coming from a kit.
It could be any size around the mark if it is not a genuine jet!

#360 seems a little big for your mods as well.

Running well with the fuel turned off says to me that it could be flooding!

Set the float level!

Plug chop to confirm jetting.
Plug chop?

Before you make the plug chop run it is important that the float level is correct, the idle is set correctly and there are no air leaks in the system, otherwise the smoke ring may lie about the AFR.

WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride WOT through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet circuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

get rid of the main jet,it is way to big..engine can not burn all the fuel you are throwing at it:)
maybe 280-290 main jet..plug chop is only way to tell for sure,other then noticiable difference when riding:)

After I had it rebuilt it was an animal! All of a sudden I had to keep kicking the carb to get it to run without bogging out and dying on me. Not too long after it wouldn't barely run at all. I took carb off and found a reed inside carb. I replaced with new ones and this is now what I'm dealing with. If that helps...
Thank u guys for info. Very helpful.

So t
After I had it rebuilt it was an animal! All of a sudden I had to keep kicking the carb to get it to run without bogging out and dying on me. Not too long after it wouldn't barely run at all. I took carb off and found a reed inside carb. I replaced with new ones and this is now what I'm dealing with. If that helps...
Thank u guys for info. Very helpful.
so the floats were getting stuck before .. Which one would assume that their def on need of adjustment now?

what reeds did you install?
floats are prob sticking.
make sure your gas cap is ventilating properlt to.
you can check it by unscrewing it all:)

One more question. Does it matter if I use the little tiny pilot set 32.5 or the longer one that sticks out 32.5? Are they the same?

stock pilot
you should be able to hold it up to a light and see through it.
can of carb cleaner soak it for like 10min,compressed air to blow it or something tiny to clean hoole :)
how is one longer?
did you use stock reed pedal stoppers or the bar it came with,if they are dualstage?

Lo
stock pilot
you should be able to hold it up to a light and see through it.
can of carb cleaner soak it for like 10min,compressed air to blow it or something tiny to clean hoole :)
how is one longer?
did you use stock reed pedal stoppers or the bar it came with,if they are dualstage?
cal shop has 2 different styles. One is very small. The other one is taller and sticks out of hole.

what is airscrew set at 1 1/2 turns out?
what is the gas mixed at 32:1 or is oil injection still there.
sound like you got carb adjusted wrong...or you are compensating carb adjustments for a bigger problem like loss of compression/air leak..........
spark plug type?
got pics?

No no. Were on the same page before w the floats needing adjustment. My thing was, I needed a pilot jet also. I ordered one, which was tiny. My local shop offered one that looks like this... Wondering if it would work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 238
T
No no. Were on the same page before w the floats needing adjustment. My thing was, I needed a pilot jet also. I ordered one, which was tiny. My local shop offered one that looks like this... Wondering if it would work?
he one I had looks like this...