01 Yamaha Blast just bought leaking gas through carb?

Blasting

Dec 23, 2012
Narnia
Yes I knew it was leaking gas. I was told it was the float, it was all gunked up.. He said cause it was sitting.

Well I'm sure it was the float, it's out the bottom, leaking out of this one pipe (sorry I don't know the name..).

I picked this up for $680 today, here's the ad:
2001 Yamaha blaster

There's also one more problem..
The quad doesn't stall out when you release the clutch and give it no gas.. And he took of the light and the kill switch is disconnected. So me and my friend couldn't shut this off, so we turned off the gas in neutral. It started to rev itself really high, like full throttle. And when my friend let the clutch go with no gas, it just went faster.

Please help.. There are some parts on this he put in

Aftermarket brakes (?)
Aftermarket wide tires (?)
FMF Turbine Core 2.

Thanks.. I really don't know a lot about these, so please don't criticize me too harshly lol.. I took it for a run, yes, saw him blaze it down my 850ft driveway too.

i would start by cleaning the carb and all the jets in it. find out what size jets are in it and list your modifications with the airbox lid. it sounds like you have an airleak so you might want to look into a leakdown tester but start with the cleaning and see how it goes. when it runs lean it will rev up so when the fuel is shut off it will rev up and then it will shut off.

Usually, the leaking gas is due to the float as you say, specifically the seat of the small cone shaped plug/needle that the float controls gets gummed up or worn which causes the leaking gas out of the carby as the float bowl isn't sealed it has nowhere else to go. It can be fixed by either just cleaning out the carby or if this doesn't fix it then get a q-tip and some toothpaste and thoroughly clean out the brass seat of the conical shaped plug/needle.

sounds like you need to re-install the kill switch else it may end up killing you if you get in a bad situation. As for the high revving when the gas is switched off, this is due to the lack of gas causing a lean mixture which is known to cause high uncontrollable revving/ high idle. The solution to this issue is to get that kill switch re-installed

i would start by cleaning the carb and all the jets in it. find out what size jets are in it and list your modifications with the airbox lid. it sounds like you have an airleak so you might want to look into a leakdown tester but start with the cleaning and see how it goes. when it runs lean it will rev up so when the fuel is shut off it will rev up and then it will shut off.

I was planning on bringing it to a mechanic my dad has his harley done for cheap down the street.. My question is did I get ripped off? Everyone in my house is bothering me about it.. I mean once I put these parts in they'll be good for awhile.. I'm not riding every day maybe twice a month for a few hours in the summer. And these parts are new. I was looking at a 300ex for 1600 and all he did was jet the exaust and put 660 front suspension and 450trx back..

I'm just rambling now...

I was planning on bringing it to a mechanic my dad has his harley done for cheap down the street.. My question is did I get ripped off? Everyone in my house is bothering me about it.. I mean once I put these parts in they'll be good for awhile.. I'm not riding every day maybe twice a month for a few hours in the summer. And these parts are new. I was looking at a 300ex for 1600 and all he did was jet the exaust and put 660 front suspension and 450trx back..

I'm just rambling now...

i don't think you got ripped off but no kill switch is a bit odd IMO

check compression and keep good fuel/oil in it as well as a clean air filter. compressoin should be about 120+ i think you got a decent deal just needs a little tlc

I'm just rambling now...

Not sure due to me being in the UK and prices being different here.. but.. a blaster for $680 or 300ex for $1600.. ide say you did ALOT better getting the blaster.. and if your not so good at working on them theirs nothing better to start learing yourself with.. you will get all the advice you need on here when you say you released the clutch, just make sure its in gear and your holding on the break.. it should die ..

i don't think you got ripped off but no kill switch is a bit odd IMO

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.. I'm trying to explain that to my family haha..I got around $120 left over since I talked him down.. i may just buy a whole new carb and me and my dad will install it.. My dads good with cars and quads.Here's some pictures:

photo15_zps12c77d9b.jpg

photo43_zps0c727ebc.jpg

photo25_zps8378f005.jpg

photo35_zps4a5b782c.jpg

Not sure due to me being in the UK and prices being different here.. but.. a blaster for $680 or 300ex for $1600.. ide say you did ALOT better getting the blaster.. and if your not so good at working on them theirs nothing better to start learing yourself with.. you will get all the advice you need on here when you say you released the clutch, just make sure its in gear and your holding on the break.. it should die ..

I got the clutch down good so far. I was riding my friends 700 raptor special adition today.. Thing is fast but the acceleration on my blaster scared him. haha..

You did alright for 650 I:I. You don't need a new carb, you need a CLEAN carbI:I
And you don't need a stinking harley guy touching itX(8-|!! Save your dough, these things are about as complicated as a rock. On this site you will find download manual, repair and mainenance tips, and just about anything you want or need to know about your blastee. The search function works extremely well on this site I:I

BTW, welcome to the dirt pile.I:I

You did alright for 650 I:I. You don't need a new carb, you need a CLEAN carbI:I
And you don't need a stinking harley guy touching itX(8-|!! Save your dough, these things are about as complicated as a rock. On this site you will find download manual, repair and mainenance tips, and just about anything you want or need to know about your blastee. The search function works extremely well on this site I:I

BTW, welcome to the dirt pile.I:I

Lol thanks.. The guy doesn't only specialize in Harleys. he's just a general mechanic. He does dirtbikes too. The guy who sold it to me forgot to give me a bill of sale.. he's going to give it to me after christmas.

What kind of rear caliper is on that thing?

I'm actually not sure, I'll take a look tomorrow.

And yeah I got the refrence.. I know what to do now. My uncle told me to bleed the breaks and add fluid.. If those are the two same things, I'm sorry, I don't know much about these. I'm going to look at some youtube videos tonight and troubleshoot. It was a bit weird when I test rode it, haven't used clutch in years, had no breaks going down a hill unsure how to stop it..

I gotta make room inside my house to clean this. I can't move my fingers when it's 35 degrees lol