Yamaha Blaster WIRING??

98yamablaster

May 26, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this site and new to rebuilding engines. I need to buy a wiring harness for my 98 Yamaha Blaster 200. I've heard that all Blaster parts between '88 and '02 were interchangeable/compatable...But I looked up the '98 wiring harness part # up online and the part # is different than the '88 model. It seems to change at the '96 model. Is it the same part or not? need some expert help!

I do believe it will be the same. Wait for a second opinion, but I'd say you'll be safe.

The only difference I can think of is the 2 different style CDI boxes used between 88-02. I have a 98 CDI and a 94 CDI and they are different, but interchangeable. Also yamaha changed the CDI design again in 03, just added that so it's cleared up.

There are 2 different harnesses for the older years.The difference being in the tors connections.The earlier years 86 or so till about 88 is where the change was.

there IS a difference in the older wiring harnesses, '88-'90 were the same, and '91-'02 were the same. its not a major difference, but the 91-02 years have a parking brake switch, where the earlier years did not. you could still use the 91-02 wiring on an earlier model and vice vera, just be aware of why you might have a couple more/less wires. and as said above, the 03+ are different.