Work in canada / states

Drifz1

May 24, 2010
mayo,ireland
Hey ,bit of a random thread but anyway
my mate was telling me theres loads of labouring/construction work in canada . he is 19 and has no qualifications . he is planning on going over this june ,he has relatives over there. if i can get work im planning on going next summer (2014).
i have worked on construction sites for a few years over here during the summer . i will be 18 when i plan on going ...what i want to know is :
is it likely to get work in canada without qualifications? i know the cost of living is high over there but just want to get away for a year or two.

thanks I:I

Hey ,bit of a random thread but anyway
my mate was telling me theres loads of labouring/construction work in canada . he is 19 and has no qualifications . he is planning on going over this june ,he has relatives over there. if i can get work im planning on going next summer (2014).
i have worked on construction sites for a few years over here during the summer . i will be 18 when i plan on going ...what i want to know is :
is it likely to get work in canada without qualifications? i know the cost of living is high over there but just want to get away for a year or two.

thanks I:I
i live in upstate N.Y. about 20 miles from the canada border..there are labor construction jobs out there but everything there like cost of living,clothes ,food is almost double what i pay in upstate N.Y. thats why a lot of them travel down here to buy things..i know where i live there are many construction jobs available,some with N.Y. state contracts which means better pay

I live in Nova Scotia, on the Atlantic coast. The four Atlantic provinces are pretty much "have not" provinces much as Ireland feels itself within Europe. That said, most people and businesses have learned to survive with this reality so that it turns out the recent economic downturn has not bothered us much at all in the rural areas. Construction has slowed down a bit, but was never great to begin with. Resource industries like fishing, forestry and mining still roll along at the same pace and are always looking for healthy young bodies.

Minimum wage is about $10/hr, labourers expect $15/hr, unionized and manufacturing jobs are $18-22/hr, tradesmen $18-30/hr. Hard working apple pickers, scallop shuckers and tree harvesters can often double these wages for short periods when conditions allow. Rent goes from about a low of $350/mo for a dingy single bedroom apartment in a depressed area to a typical $600-800/mo or more in the city and growth areas. Houses run from a low of $60,000-$80,000 for an old house in a depressed area, $100,000 (low) in any built up area to a typical $130,000 and up for decent housing. There is a 15% sales tax in most of the Atlantic provinces on everything but food and children's clothing, 11%-13% in much of the rest of Canada.

Atlantic Canada is a hard place to get rich in but is an OK place to be poor!
Beautiful country, nice people, good social systems, good health care. Many of the rural poor survive by knowing where they can find cheap food, clothing and wood for heat.

Canada has a migration going on to the tar sands of Northern Alberta and the diamond and gold mines of the north. Wages are double the Nova Scotian wages quoted above, but so are the costs. Conditions in those areas are rugged. Most people work there for 5-10years then retire somewhere else with their booty if they saved it, or stories of how they spent it while making it.

Recently they opened up the immigration rules in Canada to labourers and tradesmen to supply labour for northern mines.

Hope this helps,

Steve