Whacky Otis mount!

nice welds dude and may I ask what is the particular purpose for you what I mean to say is wont that hurt you on trail rides or is that not a concern of yours

Is that a fact? .. true math? .. or an opinion? I'll find out by testing...just wonderin how you know :)

i mean, i guess you could say its fact, i just know this because im a senior in mechanical engineering at the university at buffalo.

when you have them at an angle, you have more leverage on the shock and it takes less force to compress the shock (puts the force on the same plane).

straight vertical puts the force on a different plane and thus there is no leverage (just the leverage of the length of the arm from the tire to the shock mount... not much, the angled shock increases this distance to the top shock mount because its in the same plane as the arc that the wheel goes in as well as the force)
basically with an angled shock your putting the force in line with the travel of the a-arms, but when the shocks are vertical, they are not compressing with the arc of the travel.

Thanks for explanation. I understand what you're sayin, I'm just wonderin how much stiffer and don't have the geometry education or the software to figure it out ..LOL. If say a shock was set up for a 140# rider and you change the angle 15deg would it be like for a 150lb rider, 180lb rider, 200lb rider or maybe a 300lb rider. Seems like when I moved the bottom mount holes in to get more travel it softened the shock. Like moving the bottom mount in on the lever had more effect than the decreased angle. I can't really test the yfz's cuz they're to long to use the stock top location with out moving the bottom location out and with stock a-arms it would be hard to move the bottom location down to maintain the stock angle. When I can afford long a-arms I'll use the stock top mount and mess with the bottom mount.
We'll try the purple blaster with the Banshee shocks when the kid comes over with some friends and get some ride opinions on the angle effect. All part of the fun.
Thanks again for the input!

this winter i'm gonna play with idea's like u have otiss, i am thinkin of makin some adjustable removable top mounts and playin with the bottom hole, but i don't think i want the angle vertical on the shock, that would prolly mess with the geometry

hey otis, u ever try backing the prelaod ( or sumthing like that) screw on the yfz's all the way out and just mounting it on the stock mounts, it will have enough sag to return it to about stock ride height, and be a pretty good ride, i think i'm gonna try it tomoro

can you buy these anyware or just made personaly?

Nope, can't buy'em. I just built'em as an experiment and I'm still experimenting. Was thinking bout makin a few but peeps seem to think the suspension would be to stiff cuz the shocks are too vertical. They must be right! ... LOL
I think you can buy some kind of shock adaptors on eBay.

Nope, can't buy'em. I just built'em as an experiment and I'm still experimenting. Was thinking bout makin a few but peeps seem think the suspension would be to stiff cuz the shocks are too vertical. They must be right! ... LOL

the ebay ones are the same way, u just gotta adjust the pre-load down, i wish i had the $ to have GT thinder take a lil off my yfz shocks so they fit my balsty perfect

Nope, can't buy'em. I just built'em as an experiment and I'm still experimenting. Was thinking bout makin a few but peeps seem to think the suspension would be to stiff cuz the shocks are too vertical. They must be right! ... LOL

ohh i see and yea it does seem like the shocks wud be stiffer like harder to compress around turns if u get me great idea tho maybe sum tweaking and they wud be sweet

Wuz out playin around on the trails with the yfz shocks on the guest Blaster and took a break for a short vid. Don't really show much but it was fun makin it. Really happy with the shocks. Can't wait to get'em on the YZ Blaster and get to play with the adjustments.

YZ Otis ... always stylin with the latest in riding gear ... LOL ... burp!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it handled pretty well!
Now if you would of lost it and rolled then you'd be right in line with me, everytime I ride I hurt something

I think it handled pretty well!
Now if you would of lost it and rolled then you'd be right in line with me, everytime I ride I hurt something

I can't afford to crash! ... following the kids up that little hill on my Scrambler is like riding a pogo stick ... never sure which direction you'll be going when ya land ... LOL

Last edited:
Slowed the slow-motion down some more now that I figured out how to do it. 2-strokes sound really spooky at 1/4 speed ... LOL
A couple cuts from the vid ... the shocks are working. It stayed on the ground really well for what it is.
yzftravel.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: blasterdemon7