vitos key sheared

justtwistit

Aug 13, 2009
Arkansas
Anyone have a problem with the vitos degree key shearing? Mine lasted all of 5 min!
I had my flywheel lightened and my head milled bythe ken oconnor could this be too much with the +4°? It started up and idled like normal but when I first kicked over i feltthat the kick start jump back up but I figured that was from the added compression. I let it warm up for about a min then took off easy. I made a lap around my yard nice and easy making sure I wasn't going to have any deto. After that I started getting on it and it felt sluggish around the first turn then the second turn it started back firing so I let off and pulled in the clutch and it died and rolled to a stop. I tried restarting but it wouldn't start so I pushed it back and started checking everything. I came to the conclusion that it must be an ingtion problem being that the plug was dripping wet. Checked spark and was getting an erratic spark so pulled cover off and took flywheel with my hand aftercremoving nut so that was a red flag there. And now im trying to dig what's let pf the key out.

So you have it turned +4 and a degree key? Most shears are from improper install, not to sound like a dick, but make sure you torque the nut to specs 53 ft.lbs.

lap the crank and flywheel, the torque of the nut and the taper is actually what holds the flywheel in place, the key is to index it

No I just had the +4 key. We torqued to 53ft/lbs using a holder and locktite. We didn't lap though I thought u only did that if the crank was messed up but I will lap when everything goes back together

As stated almost every sheared key is from improper install. We have probably all done it.lol Brandoz hit it right on the head with the proper installation. Question is why run one of these keys when an adjustable plate can be had for $35 and stock keys can be had for peanuts. Unless you want +16 advanced. These keys are a waste of money in my opinion.Keys only last so long, adjustable plate lasts forever.

DAMN!!! this makes me nervous now lol i just ordered my advance key 2 days ago and i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. i will be damn sure to tourque exactlly to spec and try to get everything perfect. im now considering the adjustable plate instead (smh)

DAMN!!! this makes me nervous now lol i just ordered my advance key 2 days ago and i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. i will be damn sure to tourque exactlly to spec and try to get everything perfect. im now considering the adjustable plate instead (smh)

It makes no difference what key you put in there, it is only used as a reference to get the flywheel on in the correct position.

If the shaft and the flywheel taper is not a good fit, no amount of nut tightening will stop that flywheel from spinning.

The fit up must be clean and dry, some people put locktite on the threads, but it is not needed as pressing the flywheel on the taper is what stops it spinning, not the nut.

If the flywheel taper and the shaft taper are in good condition, and you tension to 53ft lb you should have no problems, no matter whatever key is used.