Vipers Blaster full rebuild

vipergtrdj

Apr 17, 2011
Hi everyone, I am new here, and new to ATVs. I was given a '93 Blaster, pretty much complete, expect it was missing a few things (fenders, and handlebars) and it had been sitting outside for about 3years.

I have already rebuilt the engine, and I tore apart the entire body/ frame. I found that it needs new cables (throttle cable, brake cables), along with a chain and both sprockets. Also need rear bearings, seals, and also need front brakes.

I think its a good project - so far I have stripped the frame, primed it, hit the frame with flat black paint, then hit it with a coat of clear. I attached some pictures of the frame. I hope to have the a-arms done by the end of the week (its supposed to be poor weather this week).

Picture of the frame before any prep work.
photo0033kc.jpg

Frame partially painted with flat black.
photo0034k.jpg

Frame hit with one coat of clear.
photo0036es.jpg

way to bring 'em back from the dead,
and welcome to the sickness !!!!!!!!

I like rebuilding cars, so figured this ATV was free ..... so can't go wrong with a free project. :D

I am also looking for some upgrades - suspension and such, since I have it torn apart. Anyone know what years are interchangable? I have been searching the forums so I may find it soon.

u can make anything work man, but 88-02 for mostly everything the difference on the 03+ is hydro brakes which everyone seems to do on it, talk to awk he sells the setup to bolt right up. and a lot of us throw the 03 hood on it too, the tail light is also a brake light on 03+

I have a lot of stock 97 parts I'm trying to sell but don't have enough posts yet... PM me if you need a part maybe I have it..

welcome man. you wont ever stop modding. once you start you just cant stop. well until you run out of money. but a blaster is about the easiest quad to rebuild. easier than my daughters battery powered quad.

Well I got all the frame finished painting. Going to wait on painting the A-arms and swingarm (going to replace them soon). I am in the process of putting it together, and i found a couple things with the rear end. Only thing that I am needing help with is, what looks like a seal to the carrier bearing - Also, the rear brake rotor has a lot of move to it. Is it supposed to move about an inch either way of where its at now ?

The red circle area -
photo0041n.jpg

there is supposed to be a dust cover in that red circled area, ive never had one on my blaster for as long as i can remember, actually ive seen very few that actually still have them. yes the rotor is supposed to be able to "float" in the caliper, but it couldnt move an inch in each direction? the caliper wouldnt allow it to move that much:-/

Yes, the rotor floats on the axle on 88-02 blasters. The caliper is fixed.
There should be rubber boots that go on both sides of the rotor to keep dust out and grease in. It would be a good idea to replace them if you don't have those.

03+ the rotor is fixed and the caliper floats. Much like a car's caliper floats.

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense about the rotor floating without the caliper on. thanks for that, hopefully the weather will become nicer so I can put this back together. I am dying to get it together and ride it.

the rotor is not supposed to move that much, are the 2 axle lock nuts tight? nice looking rebuild btw!! keep the pics coming

there is supposed to be a dust cover in that red circled area, ive never had one on my blaster for as long as i can remember, actually ive seen very few that actually still have them. yes the rotor is supposed to be able to "float" in the caliper, but it couldnt move an inch in each direction? the caliper wouldnt allow it to move that much:-/

I have em.......lol 5+ shipping

BTW, good looking frame, good luck with the build

Sorry for letting the thread die. I ran into a snag in May, then August everything related to the Blaster got flooded due to Irene. So I lost interest in it. As of right now I have started again.

I split the block in half, and it was full of oil, and water, but no rust on anything surprisngly. The frame held up against the water, but everything else is rough. I pulled all the gears out, and clutch basket too. I cleaned everything up with some Simple Green, and sprayed it all with PB Blaster and cleaned up the little rust there was. I will get some pics later tonight.I picked up a gasket rebuild kit on ebay, and also a used carb since my carb was beyond repair. I hope I can get it all back together by Friday/ Saturday. I just need to find a magneto, flywheel, a CDI and sensors. They were all submerged in water for well over a week from the Irene storm. (I live in VT and we never make the news, Irene made us in the news).

I also have a shop to work on it in, so no more weather disasters to stop me :). My GF and I are building it together, she wants to paint it pink ...... I am aiming for green ....... The frame is staying black since it still looks good.

Some pictures of the tear down ....

imag0238j.jpg

By vipergtrdj at 2012-07-11

imag0239g.jpg

imag0240o.jpg

Previous owner cracked the block some how - not sure how but some JB weld and I think it should be ok for now.

imag0230a.jpg

Can anyone tell me which sensor this is ?

imag0244pj.jpg

Is this the oil injection block off?

Sorry for just dropping off the face of the earth. Still working on this, actually it got put on the back burner up until now :( ..... so far I got the case all redone, bearings, seals, forks, etc. and the case is back together. Now I just need to pick up some new bolts and such to bolt it back together.

Is there a way to start the engine having it bolted down, without it being on the blaster frame? I want to make sure it turns over and all before bolting it all into the frame. I have a nice big solid bench that won't move and have straps for holding engines down to test run them(have started tractor engines on without a problem).

Sorry for just dropping off the face of the earth. Still working on this, actually it got put on the back burner up until now :( ..... so far I got the case all redone, bearings, seals, forks, etc. and the case is back together. Now I just need to pick up some new bolts and such to bolt it back together.

Is there a way to start the engine having it bolted down, without it being on the blaster frame? I want to make sure it turns over and all before bolting it all into the frame. I have a nice big solid bench that won't move and have straps for holding engines down to test run them(have started tractor engines on without a problem).

welcome back around !

unless you have a specific engine stand, with engine bolted in and lock it down to the bench, i wouldn't try starting it just strapped to the bench,
you may end up with an engine bouncing around the floor ?
it's only 3 bolts to install it into the frame

welcome back around !

unless you have a specific engine stand, with engine bolted in and lock it down to the bench, i wouldn't try starting it just strapped to the bench,
you may end up with an engine bouncing around the floor ?
it's only 3 bolts to install it into the frame

Thats true. The 3 bolts are probably easier then bolting it down lol :). I was going to throw it on my engine stand and start it, but I will just throw it in the frame. I am very anxious to get it started, been over a year.

I looked over everything this morning, and looks like all I need to do is pick up new bolts for everything, old ones were either stripped heads, or I had to drill them out. I saw bolt sets for $20 on eBay, any reviews on those? I also need to pick up a new chain, I had a new chain but moved last year and a lot of parts got lost in the move :( . I think the front sprocket was 13tooth, and back was 40, does that sound right?

For cosmetic stuff, I need front fenders, hood part, and some other misc stuff. I got the blaster as a frame with rear fenders, complete engine, and that was it.

So I went on a mini-shopping spree this morning. Ordered new tusk clutch kit with heavy duty springs, new helmet for myself (old one was damaged in Hurricane Irene), New chain and 13/40 sprockets, and a billet handlebar clamp. Also ordered the bolts I need.

So once I have the engine together, can drop her in and see how she runs :). I have a jet kit from last year, I think a 320jet is in it now. That seems high to me, should I rejet it down to 300 ?