vf3 reed install

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
som im getting vf3 reeds for x-mas and im just making sure how to install them, take out old reeds assembley, clean area, put pvc gasket maker (the orange stuff) inbetween reedcage and cylinder? what else? and i used the search bar and found not much help

You shouldn't need RTV at all. If you need RTV, then you over-torqued the bolts for the intake assembly and now the reed cage/boot are warped.

All you are doing is taking the 4 bolts out, removing the boot and stock cage, inserting the VF3 cage and boot with new gaskets, and torque the bolts down to proper torque. I think the intake bolts call for 4 foot pounds? I'm not sure...

i thought vf3's didint even have screws, and i am using a used gasket

If they didn't have bolts, how would they stay sealed? Your still need the intake boot for the carburetor to sit in. Only way that intake assembly is going to support the carburetor is if its all bolted on.

I'm not really sure if using an old gasket is okay, but if it seals I guess it's alright.

you may need rtv, but you definately need a leakdown tester. The intake window is the most notorious are for leakage upon reassembly. Use the proper torque specs and repeat if you have a leak

Most people on here will recommend using a little rtv whether your using new or used gaskets, and the bolts triple b was talkin about are the intake manifold bolts. The v-force 3's do not use any bolts/screws with their set up ... It's nice to know that you'll never hafto worry about your motor eating a screw !

if these are brand new vf's, they will come with new gaskets.
i've had 3 sets, 1 set of vf2's, and my 2 current sets of vf3's, and all required rtv to seal completely, they are notorious leakers, i like the hi-temp copper permatex, a very light coat on both sides of all gaskets, torque bolts to spec, let sit overnight, leakdown test

the torque spec is 5.8 ft. lbs., do not overtighten them, they like to strip/break

As Awk says 5.8 ft lbs diagonally and incrementally, a little bit at a time on each bolt.

The major reason the cage flange leaks is because of overtightening.

I'm replacing my reeds as soon as they arrive from California. However if they don't come with a gasket I paid 5 bucks for one better safe then sorry.

Is it supper important to crank to 5.8 ft lbs exactly I dont have a torque wrench guess I could try an get one from autozone as a rental. If they have it.

An u say copper permatex on both sides of the gasket agains the cylinder an the gasket for the intake?

The second best investment after a leak tester is a tension wrench.

Some people just pull nuts and bolt to what they think is about right, some pull them until they are over tight.:(:(

In my long years of wrenching , more than 50% of problems I have had to rectify have been caused by people just pulling on a breaker bar, because it just had to be a little tighter.X(X(X(

Any builder who thinks they can get tensions by feel, is not worth the paper the spare parts come wrapped in.:(:(:(

It is a good idea to put sealant on both sides of the gasket and the carby flange, both are known as a leak scource.

The second best investment after a leak tester is a tension wrench.

Some people just pull nuts and bolt to what they think is about right, some pull them until they are over tight.:(:(

In my long years of wrenching , more than 50% of problems I have had to rectify have been caused by people just pulling on a breaker bar, because it just had to be a little tighter.X(X(X(

Any builder who thinks they can get tensions by feel, is not worth the paper the spare parts come wrapped in.:(:(:(

It is a good idea to put sealant on both sides of the gasket and the carby flange, both are known as a leak scource.

Good advice!
3/8" Drive Click Type Torque Wrench

Yes sit understood. Well I may try an rent from autozone as I don't feel like waiting for shipping an I won't be able to purchase till Friday an I would like to get my blaster running this weekend but I will order a wrench this weekend gaurentee all parts should be here Monday! 5.8 ft lbs on each bolt a little at a time. Well I haven't done anything else with the blaster so I may jus check all bolts for the right tension jus because lol. There's a sectikn in my manual for that I'm pretty sure right?

Yes sit understood. Well I may try an rent from autozone as I don't feel like waiting for shipping an I won't be able to purchase till Friday an I would like to get my blaster running this weekend but I will order a wrench this weekend gaurentee all parts should be here Monday! 5.8 ft lbs on each bolt a little at a time. Well I haven't done anything else with the blaster so I may jus check all bolts for the right tension jus because lol. There's a sectikn in my manual for that I'm pretty sure right?

And diagonally.