VF3 reed cage porting

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
I searched on here but couldn't come up with anything, i swear someone ported one of these. Not the actual cage but the little (plastic?) insert that snaps on top of it.

Anyhow I noticed the piece that snaps on top the opening isn't much bigger than that of my RAD valve opening, and also doesn't match up very well with the intake boot opening- so how much is flow restricted by that? You really need that to keep the reed cage from backing out!

My thought was what if I opened that up to match the intake boot that gets bolted on?

I forgot to take a pic of a before as I got a little carried away at work today with my buddies dremel. And ported that sucker out, I also cut about an Inch off of the "feet" that's what i call them -the part that sticks down into the valve.

But it sure did a nice job on that, and opened it up a boat load!
if someone has a pic of this piece untouched please send it to me so i can add it for comparison.

Side shot- looks uneven but its not- I tried to chamfered the edges no steady hand here! That's why I'll leave the motor porting to the pro's
al5icm.jpg

This part is towards the engine, Big difference!
11s0z7t.jpg

This side is facing the carb- again big difference!
20kvyb6.jpg

Last edited:
I have it spelled out in my build thread and wrote a write-up as well that is linked where I listed write-ups in my build thread, it is fairly tough as a dremel will melt the plastic even on low speeds when taking it off, I found luck with making a flat sanding tool and spending hours doing the plastic by hand, if I still have the tool I made I'll snap a pi cit's pretty rudimentary but worked well

Those v3's are very restrictive and really need opened up and also the aftermarket kind of caters to banshee owners more so and they have a metal reed stop or whatever that plastic piece is called and it opens up the banshee cage big time and they only cost 10 bux a piece, be nice if they made that same reed stop available for blaster as well.

Here is a link to what the banshee v3's look like to give you an idea of how much the stuffers they call them opens up a set of banhee v3's.
http://67.199.65.66/cascade_innovat...e_View.cfm?STORE_AREA_ID=27&store_dept_id=341

Isin't red porting a fruitless myth????

Reed porting is not a myth, the VF3 have an inner restrictive cage that can easily be ported to allow more airflow, now how big a diffrence it makes it debatable, but their is a great bit of material to be taken off and in cases of using a billet intake like the prodesign, both can be ported to match the diameter of your carb up to 34mm.

Those v3's are very restrictive and really need opened up and also the aftermarket kind of caters to banshee owners more so and they have a metal reed stop or whatever that plastic piece is called and it opens up the banshee cage big time and they only cost 10 bux a piece, be nice if they made that same reed stop available for blaster as well.

Here is a link to what the banshee v3's look like to give you an idea of how much the stuffers they call them opens up a set of banhee v3's.
Cascade Innovations Store

That is a sweet idea, im wondering if that would fit a blaster VF3.

That is a sweet idea, im wondering if that would fit a blaster VF3.

I doubt they would fit a blaster cage because the banshee and blaster cages are not the same size as far as i know. But yes, i run v-2's now because the v'3's in my opinion are not as good for the banshee motor but with this sweet idea it opens the v-3's just a large as my 2's if not better .

@ slick
i didnt go as crazy as you with the porting, but did cut off that nozzle and port match them to my pro design intake......................

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/modding-vf3-reedcage-23766/

that looks fairly simple to make, gonna have to give that a look next time my reeds are off

Yes it looks real simple to make. I will buy some 3's when my 2's are wore out and get the stuffers to see exactly how it holds the reeds in. Looks like someone can fab some real easy and make alot of blaster people happy.

Yes it looks real simple to make. I will buy some 3's when my 2's are wore out and get the stuffers to see exactly how it holds the reeds in. Looks like someone can fab some real easy and make alot of blaster people happy.

i'm on that !!!!
got rings and gaskets to install anyway, now just gotta find the time

I know stock reed cages for a blaster are really similar to a shee. The reed pedals on a shee are a few mm shorter tho. ON A STOCK CAGE.

I have it spelled out in my build thread and wrote a write-up as well that is linked where I listed write-ups in my build thread, it is fairly tough as a dremel will melt the plastic even on low speeds when taking it off, I found luck with making a flat sanding tool and spending hours doing the plastic by hand, if I still have the tool I made I'll snap a pi cit's pretty rudimentary but worked well

I found it! You left the feet on yours. Hmmmm

Cascade Innovations Store

MAJOR difference! That is sweet!

@ slick
i didnt go as crazy as you with the porting, but did cut off that nozzle and port match them to my pro design intake......................

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/modding-vf3-reedcage-23766/

that looks fairly simple to make, gonna have to give that a look next time my reeds are off

I knew a couple guys modded already Thanks fellas!

Looks really well man. I love to see people try porting makes me wanna do it. But what happened why no rad valve?

Looks really well man. I love to see people try porting makes me wanna do it. But what happened why no rad valve?

The Rad valve is on the quad. Ive been sitting on these VF'3 for a while.This winter I'm gonna swap these VF3's in and port the hell out of the Rad valve. Then swap that in and do a comparison, ass dyno, jetting. I still believe with a ported RAD valve there is gonna be better flow not necessarily more as it is a one piece aluminum system with 2 pedals. I do believe that the VF3's can flow more air due to the four petal system, and is necessary for a Big block set up, which needs more. Also I believe that the stock jug and ported RAD valve is sufficient and would not give up any noticible difference in power/torque, but I have no evidence of this yet!

I count each reed as one, but technically you are correct brutha AWK! Now get your azz out in the woods and kill something, i don't want to hear it's raining!

BTW- gonna cut off the entire bottom half , that will leave me the little squarish "stuffer" just like the banshee one! Thanks mmjay, great idea! I am also gonna try to make a different intake boot piece, been trowin ideas out, I decided to go with a reducing system, i'll call it, because the open section of the reed cage is so much larger than any boot hole. I want maximum flow! It will be cone shapped.

Last edited:
I searched on here but couldn't come up with anything, i swear someone ported one of these. Not the actual cage but the little (plastic?) insert that snaps on top of it.

Anyhow I noticed the piece that snaps on top the opening isn't much bigger than that of my RAD valve opening, and also doesn't match up very well with the intake boot opening- so how much is flow restricted by that? You really need that to keep the reed cage from backing out!

My thought was what if I opened that up to match the intake boot that gets bolted on?

I forgot to take a pic of a before as I got a little carried away at work today with my buddies dremel. And ported that sucker out, I also cut about an Inch off of the "feet" that's what i call them -the part that sticks down into the valve.

But it sure did a nice job on that, and opened it up a boat load!
if someone has a pic of this piece untouched please send it to me so i can add it for comparison.

Side shot- looks uneven but its not- I tried to chamfered the edges no steady hand here! That's why I'll leave the motor porting to the pro's
al5icm.jpg

This part is towards the engine, Big difference!
11s0z7t.jpg

This side is facing the carb- again big difference!
20kvyb6.jpg
Nice I wanna try this out but did you have to rejet after doing this mod?

awesome work slick! I:I. i absolutly agree with ya on the RAD valve being great for trails but just not being able to keep up with a BBK monster, its too bad really.. i like the all aluminum housing over the cheapo plastic but what can ya do lol