Trick headlights

lokisbuddy

Feb 8, 2008
Oscoda Michigan
Ok here is how i got my headlights (which i think look trick) Go to walmart and buy a set of driving lights ( that suit your style) Take them apart and pull the 50 watt bulbs out and put some 25'ers in then drill into your plastic by the hood and mount em there. i have mine so only one comes on when its on low and both come on when the brights are on. look at my sig for mounting location.

how did you wire it so that only 1 comes on when you have it on low and both on high? the way i wired it, only one light come on high cuz i still have the 55 watt bulbs in. where did you get the 25s? walmart?

I got the 25 watt bulb from sears. To wire it how i did first you need to splice the ground and run it to both lights, then splice the wire coming from your high beam and run it to the two new lights (only do this with the 25 watt bulbs or the light wont come on.) then run the wire from your low beam and splice it into the driving light you are designating as low. and after you seal up all your connections with shrink tubing and splicers your all done. Don't spill beer all over your quad either because it makes a sticky messB-)

i think im going to wire it so that they both come on when its set to high. im going to splice the ground wire to the two ground wires from the lights then take the high beam wire and splice it to the other two wires from the lights. thanks for the help !

No prob man but all that you need to do after that is runn one more wire from your low to one of the after market lights and you got yourself a dim:)
P.s. Dont go the quick and dirty way by electrical taping it (you will regret it) use wire connectors and shrink tubing

Last edited:
okay i think im gunna give it a shot! so if i want only one to come when the switch is on low, should the wire from the low setting and a wire from the high setting be attached to the other two wires from the lights (not the ground black wire) ? i think that is right and splice all of them together.

correct it should look as follows: 1 driving light has a wire from your high switch and a ground the other light has a wire from the high switch, a wire from the low switch and a groundI:I

dude thanks a ton youve helped me out alot! im gunna get the bulbs and wire them this weekend

I tried this with 12 volt bulbs from walmart. The previous owner took the stock light off the quad, but i think the wires are there. One is black, and the other is black with a white stripe. BTW my blaster is an 01 if that matters. but anyways, i cant get the lights to light. Does there need to be a certain watt light for it to work.

okay so the yamaha blaster stator puts out about 55watts so make sure that its doesnt go over that or else it wont light up, then what i did is with the light plug the Black (ground wire) to the black ground wire from the other light then take the second wire(probably going to be white) then plug that into the yellow wire coming from the stock light harness. this will allow the light to turn on when you have the stock light switch set to the high setting. then splice the wires and double check that they are tight. should work, worked great for me!

i'm gonna have to do that at some point, my blaster didn't come with lights. and ur right man they do look trick

i'm gonna have to do that at some point, my blaster didn't come with lights. and ur right man they do look trick

def. go for it! its an easy upgrade that wont cost you a lot and isnt hard to do! and it def. looks wayyyy better then stock lolI:I

Is the yellow wire that you are refering to connected to a connector along with 3 other wires. I found the black one that you are talking about, but with that wire is a black wire ith a white stripe. These two wires are run together in the same loom, which made me think that they were once headlight wires, but they wont give power to the lights.

Is the yellow wire that you are refering to connected to a connector along with 3 other wires. I found the black one that you are talking about, but with that wire is a black wire ith a white stripe. These two wires are run together in the same loom, which made me think that they were once headlight wires, but they wont give power to the lights.

okay so there should three wires that run from the old headlight, green(dim setting) and yellow(high setting) and black(ground wire). dont use any other wires just use those and it should work. there may also be a green wire and a brown wire that are seperate but those are for the oil indicator light and those are unimportant

the previous owner must have cut the wires. Are all three ran together, and where do they come from. Do they come from the switch that is on the handlebars, because that is still there.

Anyone have pictures from the 88-02 blaster with a diff. setup? I'm wondering where to put the lights. thanks

im working on somthing ill post pics when im finished. quick question i hooked up a volt meter to my power wires and they were all over the place from -14v to + 12 whats that about? it did it with the green and yellow wire.