Tri-Z swap when my LT is done

Chuckie25

Jul 25, 2012
Louisiana
Ok so I guess I'm gunna go ahead and start the build thread for it. The engine came out the bike my uncle drag raced (but the cylinder got busted and has a new cylinder on it and we have 3 new OEM cylinders in boxes incase we wanna go crazy again). It's the same bike my swinger is out of. It's a +2 Tri-Z swinger which I think makes it 4 inches over blasty stock. We have a 39mm Keihin for it that only has 900-feet of run time (see what I did there? Lol) and two choices of pipes: 1) hand coned FTZ drag pipe (too loud and no good for flat track) 2) a stock lookin pipe that my uncles don't remember what it is LOL. My uncle was figuring we could put the rad mounts on the two angled tubes under the front fenders (I'll have to get pictures to show exactly where at) and this seems a good place seeing as though it's a flat track bike with 18x4 motorcycle tires on the front. I'll be swapping over the Tri-Z electrics too since it has been stripped down to where it's only wires to make it run and stop running lol.

So, anything we will run into problems with? I won't be running an airbox if that opens or shuts any doors/problems

Are you going to have room to use the Blaster fuel tank?

I should. We've looked it over long and hard and it looks like it will work. I'm going to build it like how Yamaha would have. It's going to look as stock as possible and will be painted/plastic'd black and yellow. Do you know if I will have problems with the fuel tank?

I should. We've looked it over long and hard and it looks like it will work. I'm going to build it like how Yamaha would have. It's going to look as stock as possible and will be painted/plastic'd black and yellow. Do you know if I will have problems with the fuel tank?

The Tri Z was just really tall up front, long forks and a 24" front tire but still they put the tank to the rear. I've never measured but the engine looked tall, much taller than a YZ engine. I could just be the way it looked. Do you have a whole Tri Z that you're taking the engine from? Those were very cool looking trikes, it would be a shame to see one robbed for parts to build a quad (IMO). But on the other side, it's frustrating to try to keep old rare trikes ridable with the parts being harder and harder to come by (that's why I finally gave up on trikes and bought a quad.

The Tri Z was just really tall up front, long forks and a 24" front tire but still they put the tank to the rear. I've never measured but the engine looked tall, much taller than a YZ engine. I could just be the way it looked. Do you have a whole Tri Z that you're taking the engine from? Those were very cool looking trikes, it would be a shame to see one robbed for parts to build a quad (IMO). But on the other side, it's frustrating to try to keep old rare trikes ridable with the parts being harder and harder to come by (that's why I finally gave up on trikes and bought a quad.

Yea we have the whole bike still and don't worry, nothing is being done to it to where it can't be saved. I'm too addicted to old trikes myself to do that lol. I race one for a year and a half doing harescrambles, poker runs and some MX but when my back got screwed up I had to stop racing. And I agree, they are the coolest looking of the trikes (besides the Franks!). But like I said, all it needs to be a complete bike again is a swingarm and axle but we want something that is unique(ish) ya know? Build something Yamaha themselves didn't have the balls to build lol

<snipped>
Back to my bike: will a lawn tractor fuel pump work if I need it?

Most of the lawn tractors I have seen have been gravity fed, and pretty much all of their carbs are designed for gravity feed, so I am guessing that if you have found a lawn tractor that has a pump and the engine was originally designed for gravity feed, YES, the pump will work for any gravity feed carb.

I had to put a new pump on my 94 750 Ninja. Found pretty much all late model bike fuel pumps are the same, and put out 1-2 psi. Usually just a wire connection difference on most of them.

299_31647270802_6295_n.jpg

Most lawn MOWERS are gravity feed where as the older lawn TRACTORS have vaccum fuel pumps (Yazoo's 68", Sears' SS-13 through FF22 models, etc)

I got the fly wheel pulled yesterday on the blaster motor and found out the crank bearings are going. Called my uncle what'd he said the bearings in the Tri-Z are too! So I gotta talk with my other uncle and see what he wants to do. We will prolly rebuild the Z and run the blaster for a little longer. Then once school starts here in the next week or so I won't be able to ride as much anyway. I'll have the 250 at my house here in a few days and I'll get a picture of it with the pipe and carb hangin on it.

It's always friggin something

I would go with a standard Mikuni pulse fuel pump. One that runs off motor vac.

Search your favorite parts site for Mikuni DF44-227 (or DF52-176 if you want more flow)

just my 15 cents

That's the same one off the Yazoo and the GT44 LOL!!! They even say Mikuni on them!! I need a rebuild kit for it then.

My uncle told me when they drag raced the Z they used a gas tank off a Tri-Zinger and hid it where the airbox was in the front so it was a gravity feed and they ditched the stocker to save weight

I would go with a standard Mikuni pulse fuel pump. One that runs off motor vac.

Search your favorite parts site for Mikuni DF44-227 (or DF52-176 if you want more flow)

just my 15 cents

Thanks for telling me though! If I need it now I know I won't have to put anymore money into it than I have to. Those pumps aren't cheap man..