top end rebuild.

Red Viking

Apr 12, 2015
I want to rebuild top end, and want to purchase a bigger piston. The problem is can I put a bigger piston in the OEM cylinder, and if so what is a safe over size piston to get?

i guess the cylinder has damage to it, you need to measure the bore for size, out of round and taper.

if within specs and the bore is not scored, you may get away with just a hone.

if the bore is gouged and scored it will need to be bored out to remove the damage.

Only bore to the size that is needed to clean up the cylinder.

You either need a 240 cylinder, or a 240 sleeve fitted to stock cyl to get any kind of major increase.

Stock cyl is 66mm, largest overbore is 68mm. You go from 195cc to almost 200cc. Might be hard pressed to even measure the powwa increse.

You either need a 240 cylinder, or a 240 sleeve fitted to stock cyl to get any kind of major increase.

Stock cyl is 66mm, largest overbore is 68mm. You go from 195cc to almost 200cc. Might be hard pressed to even measure the powwa increse.

A 68mm would be a 207cc but that's exactly why I was asking why he wanted a bigger piston. The power increase would be small eevn if bored out completely. Definitely not a big enough increase to be worth taking an OEM cylinder to its last bore.

I think you either need a 240 cylinder, or a 240 sleeve fitted.

Last edited by a moderator: