Top end going to Wildcard

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
So I took my top end apart tonight. Looks pretty good considering its the OEM piston from 2006 with about 100hrs on it. No signs of overheating, rings nice and clean and oily feeling. Just a bit of carbon on the crown of the piston. A little bit of a gouge on the intake side of the piston, likely from some debris or something, but just a slight mark on the cylinder. For the record I run Motul 510 oil. I'll keep running it after seeing this piston. I'll also keep being overly picky about jetting.
I'll be sending my cylinder and head to Wildcard this week. I'll likely go for an agressive port and some head work and a cleanup bore with a new Wiseco. I'll take before and after pics. If you want to know why I chose Wildcard, well sorry, I'm just not going to get into it...:D:D

So is Ryan going to have some comp. now? lol

Huh? Who's Ryan:-/

Anyway, I'm sending off the cylinder and head tomorrow. Here's some pics of the 100 hr piston and cylinder. The vertical scoring on the intake side of the piston is not nearly as bad as the pictures look.

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

I'm really surprised how rough the ports are, and how SHARP they are. Surprised they don't catch rings more often. Can't wait to see it when it comes back from Wildcard.
Brandon says he's really busy so I may not see it back for a while. I'm ok with that. It's too cold and snowy to ride now anyway.

A couple notes about Wildcard Racing:
I sent emails to four different builders. 2 didn't respond, 1 responded with a curt, short, half-assed reply, Brandon PHONED me. He asked lots of questions about my riding style and terrain, fuel, experience, preferences, pipe and carb combo etc. He doesn't just offer an off-the-shelf "trail port" or "mx port" or "dune port", he told me how he's going to shape the ports and head to get the results I'm after. The dude clearly knows his stuff. I'll take pics of it when I get it back. I'm also going to weigh the stock piston and the replacement Wiseco and compare.

A couple notes about Wildcard Racing:
I sent emails to four different builders. 2 didn't respond, 1 responded with a curt, short, half-assed reply He doesn't just offer an off-the-shelf "trail port" or "mx port" or "dune port", he told me how he's going to shape the ports and head to get the results I'm after. The dude clearly knows his stuff.
Completely absolutely agree with you!! same experience with me! one half asses and didnt give me any info, other took over a week to respond, but Wildcard answered fast and with details, if my dad woulda elt me sent the engine to wildcard i would have. Oh and my blaster is still on stock rings from 04 and still runs like a champ :D

Yep same here brandon is very profesional about his work... if you haven't sent it to him yet but when he has your stuff he will give you a call. And tell you how its going and when you should see it back.. my head should be back this week just like he said

My bad i thought you were the dude who was working with YB on the swingarms your sig picture looks very similar to his blaster

I'm pulling mine out either this weekend or next and sending it his way.... I start vacation Friday at 6 and have to get it done while remodeling the bathroom. Fun stuff!

Brandon deff impressed me. Very professional, knows his stuff and took the time to talk to me about what I wanted done and what he thinks I should have done!

He deff served up a lil lagniappe!

he is always busy.. best thing to do is call a week ahead of time to see if he has to much going on.. thats what i did and the turn around time was great for my head in the begging he said 2 weeks it came in at 1 week and 6 days got to love a builder that gets done on time

My cylinder and head showed up at his place on Monday Feb 8. I'm not expecting it back right away, as he is really busy, but I'm confident he will be done when he said he would.

also he is really knowledgeable. i talked to him for a while yesturday then right around the end of the conversation he goes yea well you wont be able to get it back till april.. ehhh i didnt like that but yes he is the first to respond to everyone. great guy!!

He is a great guy.. He and his wife do tremendous work ! Very knowledgeable, and extremely helpful.

We had great results with his work !

Enjoy it

So, it's time for an update. I shipped my cylinder and head to Wildcard back in February. Brandon said at the time he wouldn't be able to get it back to me until mid April as he is so busy. Well, he got it back to me the middle of April as promised. True, a long time to wait, but we had 3' of snow on the ground anyway 8-|
I have all my US sourced stuff sent to the US/Canada border then I pick it up as I live just a short distance from the border. Today I finally had time to go down and pick it up. Here's some pics (though they really don't do it justice), as my photography skills don't kick near as much ass as my riding skills :D
It's very clear in person though that part of the reason Brandon's turnaround may be longer is due to the attention to detail. the head and transfer ports in particular are freakin beautiful!
IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

I put it back together tonight, and I just need one more piece for my home built leak-down tester before I finish it up and get it started.
I already checked for spark-this was a bit of a concern as I put in a new high-output stator that hadn't been run yet, and rejetted the carb. I had it pretty dialed in last summer so I went up one size on the pilot, one clip richer on the needle, and 2 sizes up on the main just to be safe. Should be close anyway.
Can't wait to hear it sing again. It's been a long winter.
As for dealing with Wildcard? Well, not sure what to say, the proof will be in the performance, but Brandon is honest, fair, and totally professional. The work LOOKS beautiful, and I'm sure it will perform as well as it looks. I:I

Looks good! I like the signature on the intake port. That head is blinging! Hope it pulls your arms off when ya run it! Let us know.

lets see some pics of the intake and exhaust!! thats the good stuff haha I:I I:I now get it together and get some vids!

Sorry, no ride report yet, but I did spend some more time assembling it after the kids were tucked in for the night:)

Finished building my leak-down tester and did a leak-down test. It failed...:-/
So I got out the squirt bottle and soapy water. Found the source very quickly. It was leaking past the reed spacer/reed cage gasket. Took it apart, made sure it was all clean, reassembled. Failed again...:-/ Took it apart, ran a THIN bead of RTV around it. Reassembled. PASSED!I:I

Got the old fuel drained out of the tank, put on the tank, put on the pipe. Just have to finish making the pipe to my custom airbox and drop in some fresh fuel and it will be ready to FIRE! Should be tomorrow evening hopefully.

So I learned this: You know how everbody who rebuilds the top end and almost immediately re-seizes their motor says they "don't think" they have any air leaks? Yeah, well, I don't believe them anymore. DO A TEST!!! It's the only way to know for sure!B)