Top and Bottom End Cost

Daddy_Blasty

May 7, 2017
I recently shattered my piston and the chunks got in the bottom end i needed both top and bottom replaced and asked a local guy he is charging 1200 for parts and labor is this overpriced because to me 800 dollars in labor is rediculous

Damn right it's over priced. A couple things go into making a budget for a rebuild.

How handy are you? You have a basic tool box/chest?

Do you have any motor or cylinder work done now?

Do you want a full blown race bike?

What kind of riding do you do?

Do you want more power?

Or do you just want the bike to be running again as quick and reliable as possible?

All those answers could take your build in different directions.

The only thing you should need a shop for is to bore out the cylinder. Otherwise, you can do it all yourself.

Top end: https://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=635&cat=257&page=1

Bottom end: https://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=413&cat=250&page=1

Gasket kit for the engine: https://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=197&cat=239&page=1

Let's say you purchase the parts I listed.

$85+$25+$140+$50(bore job)= $300+- a couple bucks for shipping. There's a service manual you can download on your phone, or buy a clymers at the local shop for about $30.

That's a price list for a stock running bike with everything needed to get you running again. If you want head work, intake work, then the price will go up.

Don't forget to add in $20 for beer and a couple hours of your time.

Let's say you purchase the parts I listed.

$85+$25+$140+$50(bore job)= $300+- a couple bucks for shipping. There's a service manual you can download on your phone, or buy a clymers at the local shop for about $30.

That's a price list for a stock running bike with everything needed to get you running again. If you want head work, intake work, then the price will go up.

Don't forget to add in $20 for beer and a couple hours of your time.

I appreciate the help man and I wish i would of just done the engine work myslef sadly the engine is in he shop already and has been for a week im going to go there with 800 firm and tell him this is what your getting it might take some tables to be flipped but your right way overpriced

I appreciate the help man and I wish i would of just done the engine work myslef sadly the engine is in he shop already and has been for a week im going to go there with 800 firm and tell him this is what your getting it might take some tables to be flipped but your right way overpriced

It happens. It's all part of the game. You win some and lose some. But like the old saying goes, you gotta pay to play.

Go on and talk to him. You and he both know $1200 is a lot for a simple rebuild. Ask him to throw in some cylinder work. Either a play port, or a milled head.

I recently shattered my piston and the chunks got in the bottom end i needed both top and bottom replaced and asked a local guy he is charging 1200 for parts and labor is this overpriced because to me 800 dollars in labor is rediculous

how much did you pay for the blaster?
you could buy a complete blaster running with aftermarket parts for that price:)
either homeboy feeds his family off of your wallet or you get creative:D

Stock Blaster engines usually go out of the shop for $700 - $800. This price includes
New KOYO main bearings (missing from the above list)
All new seals (missing from the above list)
OEM gaskets (Vitos base gaskets are made of paper)
Re-built crankshaft with Pro-X components.
New snap rings and bendable lock washers (missing from the above list)
Cylinder bore, chamfer, and hone.
Wiseco piston kit
Ultrasonic cleaning
Media blast of the cylinder, head, and clutch cover followed by ceramic paint
Expert assembly.