thinking of going and buying a tach.. will it work?

JohnnyBertone

Aug 6, 2015
I'm thinking of buying a tachometer to install on my blasturd so i can see where about my motor is revving out to. i like to go easy on my quad to avoid undue damage to it, but every now and then i like to get on it and take off. my question is would i be able to go to pep boys and buy one of those unnessicary tachs with the shift light and all and somehow have an ac-dc converter to make it work?

I think you should fix the leaking pipe first. maybe invest in the $7 springs?

you sure do want to buy a lot of things for it now. Reeds, a jug, now a tach.
i would rather have it running perfect and reliably before i start adding extra parts that are not needed.

so, onto the tach.

there are digital tachs and hour meters that work okay. but nothing great.
there are universal tachs made for offroad vehicles, but there is no way to know what the settings are.
being as there are 3 firing types between different engine, it would be hard to find one unless you have one you can change the setting

might i suggest a trailtech kit. i used the vapor with good results.
engine temp, rpm, speed, hour meter, odometer etc. worked great and it only ran off a small battery
if you connect to power (with the dc converter you linked) the back can light up for night riding. and you can set shift lights to come on at certain rpm
there is a primary and secondary shift light. yellow being "you can shift now" and red being "you need to shift now" and you set the rpm as desired

Reactions: JohnnyBertone
do i NEED a battery or can it just operate whenever the quad is powered on? and i know i have all these wants and not enough time to satisfy them

no you do not need a battery

although it would be helpful. with the blaster, during low rpm there is less power output.
a battery could sustain the need of power to the tach until the rpms went up again