The "I said I'd never do this" Bobber Build

thanx guys !

think I'm gonna pass on PC, it's just too messy to do without a specific booth.
we have a set-up and a house oven, (too small for the frame) but it's just too much hassle.
I think i'm going to do a textured, maybe bedliner ? on the frame.

Reactions: harley1-5
Looking good. I used duplicolor bed liner to paint a whole truck one time. All I did was use an orbital to rough up the existing, some rusty metal primer where needed, and went to town. Looked good and has held up I think about 7 years now, without a clear coat. The only part that didn't hold up was the top of the cab, which was really rusty.

Reactions: Awk08
finally getting some time to jump back on this

settled on an upper shock mount design that extends back further to support the seat tube better.
it'll have one on each side
mount.jpg

those would have taken me too long and 1/2 a lung full of steel dust to make.
but the place I get my steel offered to do them for me on their burn table for $40
I'd have paid double that to save all the grinding of 3/16" steel to get them this perfectly matched :)

shock brackets.jpg

Living in black lung country and avoiding it =2 thumbs up. Paying $40 to have some one else do it in black lung country = Priceless...

Hurry up and mount those Bitty's up so we can see some pics.

Reactions: Awk08
Hurry up and mount those Bitty's up so we can see some pics.

spent a few hours after building a set of brakes, she's a roller now :)

I took a little more off this to allow the shock room to move
IMG_20150312_142537852.jpg

welded in
IMG_20150312_161327188.jpg

IMG_20150312_161351591.jpg

what happens when a flap wheel grabs and explodes @ 11,000 rpm, yes there's a blood trail.
as it whipped around it got me on the hand in 3 spots and try'd to head between my legs as I was coming up off on the stool I was on, catlike reflexes saved the salami :)
the worst part is it grabbed my pull wire I had in there for my taillight wiring, I'll get another in there no problem

IMG_20150312_160756313.jpg

IMG_20150312_160748293.jpg

edit: just looked at the full size pics, that grinder head is cracked :mad:
it was pretty violent :eek:

wow joe, my worst nightmare, im always wondering WHEN the grinders gonna throw a disc into pieces at me... great save with minor casualties.. Doug, love those types of wheels, makes a lot easier for certain spots... so did the head brake from the accident/being thrown down? that sucks.

so did the head brake from the accident/being thrown down? that sucks.

I'm guessing the head casting cracked from the initial "grab" ?
I think the wheel got caught in the crack where the tail of the new bracket hangs down as thats where I was cleaning up when the shiit hit the fan.
it ripped out of my hand with the wheel rolling up my fingers, then onto the floor where it caught the cord, thats when it climbed the cord and try'd to jump into my lap, but i was already on my way up and outta there.
then it chased me across the floor as it was still running, I bobbed and weaved back around to get it unplugged.
wish the surveillance cameras were running :)

I will add, this wasn't my usual Fastenal brand Rock River flap wheel, I had it all but wore mine out so I grabbed a brand new Makita brand outta my partners toolbox, I knew by the looks of it I should have left it where it was, something just didn't look like it was very sturdy....it was not !

I'll show the differences tomorrow.

After a quick stop at homo depot to grab a $30 ryobi 5.5 amp grinder and some wheels, I'm back in action.
Here's the Makita wheel that imploded vs. The fastenal brand I've used for years, and a Diablo brand I just got from H.D.
I can clearly see the Makita is JUNK !
It looks like the flaps and main body are made with recycled cardboard and lack the center metal support. BEWARE !!!!

IMG_20150313_095305859.jpg

IMG_20150313_095319928.jpg

IMG_20150313_095250260.jpg

And the grinder damage :(

IMG_20150313_095504335.jpg

IMG_20150313_095457852.jpg

I took a grinder with a cutoff wheel to the forearm. Split me right open. Left a nasty scare.
I've hit my hands many times with a diamond blade on mine, and once with an abrasive one. Mainly they were kinda like burns, hurt for a few days though. Sounds like you got pretty lucky awk. I almost lost toes one time when I set my skill saw down and didn't know the guard got stuck open.

i took a metal sliver to the eye at work had to be takeout with a needle at hospital.
i also put 7 in discs on my grinder that is only made for 4 in to cut bigger things..that is crazy lol..they dont last long cuz they vibrate to much then ruin themselves where it attaches to grinder...But it works:) where the 4 1/2 one's dont:)

a little cleanup around the rear seat braces and I'm considering the seat supports done :)

IMG_20150313_141859403.jpg

IMG_20150313_141919324.jpg