The 465 isn't running like it should

ididdy

Apr 16, 2012
WA State
Today I got the blaster running. This is the first time I have had a real chance to ride the blaster other than hearing it run before. So I get it started and it idles fine. I took it for a few laps in the back yard and it feels real doggy like its starving for fuel. It seems to run much better but still not very well when I turned the choke on which is making me think air leak. Could there be any other reason for it running better with the choke on? I have already checked the reeds and they are good. I do have an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head. I dont have a gasket there right now but one is on the way. Do I smell leak down test? Slick!!!!! its a 38mm carb ;)

^^^ X2

What type of 38mm carb? Did you clean it completely before you tried restarting. Even a tiny amount of crud in the emulsion tube can cause a real headache in running because the jetting will be right, but the carburetor isn't mixing like it's supposed to so the engine seems to be all over the place.

An exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head can cause a lean condition (the exhaust passes out into the pipe section but as it's pushed back in, air rushed in with it) but it would become more prevalent as the pipe begins to get into its powerband which it sounds like you're never getting to...

i would not run that again until you get everything sealed up and leak tested
unfortunetly slick is on vacation for 2 weeks, so your best bet may be to make your own leak tester...........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/

what pipe are you using for this ???
the pipe has the biggest effect on jetting of any mods

Well that explains why he probly didn't reply to any of my messages. I got one of his testers and it works great.

i would not run that again until you get everything sealed up and leak tested
unfortunetly slick is on vacation for 2 weeks, so your best bet may be to make your own leak tester...........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/

what pipe are you using for this ???
the pipe has the biggest effect on jetting of any mods
I am running a combo of the 465 and the blaster exhaust. Not the best idea I know but it's pretty much the same as beaster_blaster's exhaust. I am going to roundup the stuff for the leakdown tester asap.

^^^ X2

What type of 38mm carb? Did you clean it completely before you tried restarting. Even a tiny amount of crud in the emulsion tube can cause a real headache in running because the jetting will be right, but the carburetor isn't mixing like it's supposed to so the engine seems to be all over the place.

An exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head can cause a lean condition (the exhaust passes out into the pipe section but as it's pushed back in, air rushed in with it) but it would become more prevalent as the pipe begins to get into its powerband which it sounds like you're never getting to...

Its the stock mikuni carb. I tore the carb apart, cleaned it up and got it back together but it didnt run any different after I got it back together. I will have to wait till I get the exhaust gasket/leakdown tester then to know for sure then.

This might be a little interesting building my leakdown tester. My exhaust is held on with springs. :) Wish me luck

I pieced everything together for the leakdown tester. I bought a rubber cork that just barely fits into the exhaust side of the head and bought some flat washers and a bolt to run down the middle of the cork so once I get it in there I can make it expand into place.

I pieced everything together for the leakdown tester. I bought a rubber cork that just barely fits into the exhaust side of the head and bought some flat washers and a bolt to run down the middle of the cork so once I get it in there I can make it expand into place.

interesting...they sale them in the plumbing isle, made from rubber (expanding pipe plug)

Reactions: ididdy
interesting...they sale them in the plumbing isle, made from rubber (expanding pipe plug)
Doh!!! I had no idea. I thought I was being creative lol. I'm going to go see if they have one of those in my size so there is less chance of a leak. Thanks Awk!!!

i think i have the 1-1/2" one from lowes, it fits into my pipe flange but not the exhaust port itself.
and without knowing...you were very creative !

i would, some soapy water in a spray bottle doesn't cost anything except a piece of mind
check all the leaktesters connections too, could just be itself ?

The leakdown tester had a slight leak. The 465 isn't losing any pressure. Could this all be from my huge exhaust leak?

So the 465 has never worked well on this pipe?
It may be the pipe design.

Other than that, jetting is huge for getting a 2 stroke to run right.
The standard advice given on here is: "Leak test, plug chop!"
You are half way there...

An incompatible pipe combined with a leak is sure going to make tuning hell..

Just a small leak at the pipe can make a huge difference in jetting.

You need to get that thing sealed up on both intake and exhaust before you proceed any further.