Tell me everything!!!

First things first..get the bike...ride it and enjoy it..if its not fast enough for you, there are small things that will help that dont cost a lot of money. take off the air box lid and put it in a safe place in case you want it later..Pull the carb off and put in a 158 main jet ....while your in there, change the stock 38 pilot jet to a 42....both jets can he had for about $10.00 and you wont have any cold start troubles...then put the needle in the 3rd slot from the top and 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw.........
Then for about 25 bucks, get a Sparks 6 degree key and flywheel puller, you will need a new gasket also, about $8.00 from Honda... ....you can install the key in about 30 minutes.
if you have some cash laying around, get a good slip on......a full system is not needed on a 400 as they dont work that well over a stock front pipe for the money spent.........for slip ons, Spark, HMF, Big Gun and LRD seem to have had the best reviews.

if you want to play with the suspension, the rear stock shock is pretty good, but the fronts are not that great...450R fronts will bolt on with minor mods and are a great upgrade..

any other questions feel free to post here or PM me..
Ill be glad to help out

yeah i dont like messing with the jetting on these 4 pokes to much it seems to screw them up, i just want filter, exhaust and open airlid and thats it...

your going to need to jet with even those small mods.......The 400EX is pretty lean from the factory, especially on the pilot.
Its very easy and as long as you dont get any dirt in the carb, its foolproof....
The 42 pilot is a must and its the perfect size for both stock and modified bikes.....
You can change both jets , and adjust the fuel screw in less than 45 minutes with just basic tools....changing the needle position is recommended but not mandatory, so you can skip that if you want....

your gonna be around the same range if your putting on a full system rather than just a slip on..........I always start high when I jet and work my way down if needed....being a jet or 2 on the rich side may cost you 1 HP, but its better than being to lean.....unless you put it on a dyno, you would never feel one size rich....as long as its not so rich as to foul the plug....too lean on the other hand will cause excessive heat and possibly engine damage if your really lean

Don't know if it's been said before:

But a 450r carb is supposed to make a night and days differance... many say...

More suspension usually means more speed.... 450r front shocks are a huge upgrade (not that the 400 has terrible suspension stock), and a GT Thunder XC linkage (for 20" tires) or mx link (for 18"ish tires) is supposed to correct the "buckey feeling" in the rear.... i really don't notice it.... but front shocks were the main concern for me.

Guess thats all i can think of.... 400's are real nice bikes if you find one that hasn't been abused! Nowadays the blaster stays in the shop, sort of a back-up-bike.