Tell me everything!!!

well they are slower than my blaster. they sound like a 90yr old man farting when they run. and i would never own one. that is all i know about a 400ex

what do you plan to use it for?... for the cost of the machine & available upgrades... might as well just skip it and get a 450R. (The ticking timebomb stigma is completely false).

my 450R is flirting with 60hp, and absolutely no reliability issues.

400EX's are great trail machines and virtually maintenance free, but once you go past a 416 on the bore you will more than likely have head gasket issues. the timing keys are a nice cheap power adder as long as you are stock bore & compression, but they really add heat when you start with other upgrades.

There is a reason that they are pretty well unchanged since their inception other than plastic changes & a new name (400X)... they just work!

what do you plan to use it for?... for the cost of the machine & available upgrades... might as well just skip it and get a 450R. (The ticking timebomb stigma is completely false).

my 450R is flirting with 60hp, and absolutely no reliability issues.

400EX's are great trail machines and virtually maintenance free, but once you go past a 416 on the bore you will more than likely have head gasket issues. the timing keys are a nice cheap power adder as long as you are stock bore & compression, but they really add heat when you start with other upgrades.

There is a reason that they are pretty well unchanged since their inception other than plastic changes & a new name (400X)... they just work!

you hit the nail on the head dude. good post. most of us are going to post crazy stuff just cause haha. all in good fun.

ok i found a extremely good deal on a 400ex its in mint condition with maybe 20 hours on it for cheap from my dads friend, i want a banshee but it just doesent seem reasonable for the riding i do, i do alot of tight rutted muddy trails and i think there more of just sand bikes, anyways, i will get a banshee no doubt but im going to wait untill i get my license and a better job so i can build it strictly for sand, but for now i think the 400 is just more reasonable for my riding, trust me i love 2 strokes much more than i ever will 4 strokes but the shee isint a good trail bike and my blaster is just to small for me im 6' tall...so for now i might just get this 400 and get it ported and piped and whatever else will give it alot of power...what else can you do to a 4 poke to make it faster?

you could always do a killer hybrid with a 250r smoker swap. that'd be a 400ex i like haha

stick to 11:1 compression so you are safe on pump gas, timing key (maybe), a good pipe (I'm not sure which ones are really good, but stay away from FMF stuff on 4 strokes), ditch the airbox lid & get an FCR carb.

Some good porting will definitely wake it up, and I have a friend that ported his 400EX head and that thing flat out hauls (for an EX lol).

11:1 is the compression ratio of the piston... that is about the limit to be able to run on pump gas.

4 strokes don't really get ported like a 2 stroke as far as dune, rec, trail, drag... If you decide to get one, let me know and I can hook you up with a good deal on porting with the guy that did my head on my 450.

I would probably get a stage 2 hotcam... great gains all the way through the rpm range.

Plug chops aren't as effective on 4 strokes as they are on 2 strokes... mostly go on feel and knowledge... unless you can get yourself on a dyno. an FCR carb from a CRF, YZxxxF, YFZ, 06+ TRX450R will be a huge upgrade but will require an adapter to fit into the intake boot.

Yoshi pipes are good pipes but tend to be pretty expensive.

Well there is pretty much anything. Valves, BBK's, exhaust's, etc. But it sounds to me by what Burke said, once you do some performance upgrades to the engine, you run into issues.

wooo wooo wooo slow your role bro... didnt u just get a 250r?? a 400ex is a long lasting motor so i am told. if it is anything like the z400 it has the same powerband as the blaster well atleast my blaster it just has a whole lot more torque down low but same speed if it is like the z400 which i do not know???

Once you tear into the engine, they don't run the same... they run BETTER (if done right)

most of the issues with the EX lie in the head gasket... and that really only comes into play with a 426 or 440 bbk... yes they sell aftermarket head studs, but they don't really help.

a safe, reliable, fun build on a 400 EX would be as follows

Open airbox with an FCR carb from a YFZ or a CRF (they will clear the tank)
416 Big Bore
Stage 2 Hotcam
White Bros. supertrapp exhaust
Ported head
10.5:1 CP Piston
+2 A-arms w/ 450R shocks
06+ 450R swingarm, shock, & linkage

i dont wanna put to much money into this thing because i will get a yfz eventually so i might just skip the porting but im not forsure yet (if i even get this thing ) so is the white bros loud and fast? and will the trx carb bolt right on?