Super easy grab bar

ColWhitecakes

May 11, 2010
Here's an easy to make custom grab bar I whooped up. It is made out of common schedule40 steel pipe. The upper part is 3/8 and the mount portion is 1/2in.
You can make one any size you needed, and it requires very little welding (one 3/8in pipe is cut in half to facilitate screwing everything together to form the rack portion). Two sections of 1/2in are selected and one end of easch is pounded flat where they bolt to the frame. This can actually be done without heat if needed. Attach these and place the rack on in position and weld it in place. Of course, you can add expanded metal ot a piece of plywood as needed.
1o31ps

1o32j4

I have one of those twelve pack or so size soft sided coolers (one of the ones with the plastic "bucket" in 'em) that fits on it really good. I also have a small pieve of 3/8in plywood that I can put on it if needed. It fits fairly securely in the recess created by the 3/8 being welded on top the 1/2in. As you can see, the bar in the back was cut in half and the pieces screwed in the elbows then aligned and welded. It doesn't weigh much at all. Probably a couple pounds at most, if that (?????).

I actually slapped this together one morning before we went off to go for a ride up in the Ouachitas. I got tired of trying to keep my lil ice chest perched up on the factory bar. It might not be real pretty, but it gets the job done. I made sure that it wasn't so long as to not allow me to stand my quad up on it verticle like the factory bar.

Its good that its not to long. When I put my 6 pack rack on I had a stock swingarm and I could not stand it vertical in the truck. But I always thought about putting small wheels on my stock bar 4 riding wheeles and rolling it around verticle to store in tight places and squeezing on truck beds and trailers.
I:IITS GOOD TO GO VERTICALI:I
so you can fit in tight places

I'm gonna put some of those titanium blocks on it so when I do wheelies at night out in front of the house it'll through off some sick sparks. lol
But seriously, being able to stand your quad up is handy. Especially when you break out the power washer after a hard days riding. This same basic method can be used to make a number of things. Its convenient at times to save a lot of cutting and welding. Using different angled joints, and made even sliding cut-to-length pieces of hose to slide over the pipe for making up the difference in the fitting and pipe diameters, someone could probably make a set of nerfs that wouldn't look too bad.

Here is mine, it is not the prettiest but works great!
It works for storing vertical and some wheelies.
I build it with 50mm flat bar which is 5mm thick.
the inside take a 6-pack just nicely
16lk18p.jpg

Here is mine, it is not the prettiest but works great!
It works for storing vertical and some wheelies.
I build it with 50mm flat bar which is 5mm thick.
the inside take a 6-pack just nicely
16lk18p.jpg

YES, I would love to see a picture or video of a Wheelie on that. I:I
I likeI:I