Stator Questions Engine Year...

yes,
the 4 wire stator system with seperate cdi and tors brain is 88-02
the 5 wire stator system with cdi/tors brain all one unit are 03-06

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read you just ground the extra wire. I am curious about this because I am buying one Thursday that has an 05 bottom end on an 02 bike. He says he cant get it to spark. Could that be the problem?

You can use any year stator on any year blaster. If you use an 03-06 harness you leave the green/white unhooked. If you use the 88-02 harness then you earth the green/white off of the stator.

Here's the skinny on the whole green wire debacle, explained by a knowledgable friend of mine:

The newer blaster CDI (2003 +) has a separate ground coming from the source coil (the one that generates the power for the spark) to help "clean up" any noise (electrical interference) that could cause the CDI to not time the spark correctly. On the older stator plates, the "positive" wire of the coil goes into the wiring harness (the black and red wire), and the "negative" wire goes to the stator plate (to act as the ground).

On the newer ones, the green and white wire is the ground for the source coil run into the harness. You can (with relative ease, a soldering iron, and some patience) turn a 4 wire stator into a 5 wire stator without too much headache by snipping off the ring terminal of the ground wire, soldering on a loose ~18 gauge wire, and running that wire out through the wire loom with the rest (make sure to tuck it in properly with the rest of them, so that it won't get caught in the flywheel!), and putting a "bullet" connector on the end to plug into the harness.

Here's the skinny on the whole green wire debacle, explained by a knowledgable friend of mine:

that skinny sounds like it's 325lbs. I:I
and he's wrong.

dualstroke reports he's running an 01 stator with 03+ harness and cdi and just leaves the green wire hanging, with no ill results.
the green wire does not need connected into any pre 03 stator.
a ground is a ground is a ground, no matter where it's located.