Started my full rebuild tonight

Durby

Supporting Member
Forum Supporter
Nov 16, 2012
Oroville, CA
I recently bought two used basket case blaster for for my 10 and 12yr olds to ride moving up from 100 and 110cc bikes. I spent a total of $450 on both bikes to purchase them. Both had blown engines, one came completely stock and the other had a Vito's 240cc kit in that blew breaking the skirt and the cases. I bought used cases (entire lower half of motor) from a guy for $40, we split that engine and rebuilt a fresh engine. I was also able to buy a stock bore head for $20 off of craigslist locally. That head as been bored and mated to the new cases along with a new Pro-X piston. Engine is complete and waiting for the bike to be powder coated.

Bike number 2 wasn't quite so bad off. That engine is getting an entire Hot Rods bottom end kit though as the crank had a little play in it. I will also be boring the head and another Pro-X piston will go into that bike. This bike however, came with a Bills Pipe and silencer. I have not decided if I am going to keep that pipe or not yet. This bike also has a bent forward motor mount that will be cut off and re-welded by a friend of mine.

Both bikes have decent rubber all the way around and one of them came with brand new 21x11x8 sand tires. I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow of the torn apart bike and the bike I hope to tear apart tomorrow if I have time. I am planning on sending both frames to the sand blaster and getting them powder coated. I think one of the bikes will be powder coated florescent green and the blue plastics restored and stripped of the black spray paint for my son. The other bike will be powder coated florescent pink with white plastics for my daughter.

Rear end on the Quad
RedQuadRear_zpsa78ebf39.jpg

Bills Pipe Silencer
RedQuadBillsMuffler_zpsbcedd86f.jpg

Side shot -Motor (Motor is being rebuild, split cases and checking/redoing everything. This engine is actually getting a complete Hot Rods Bottom end kit as the connecting rod had some slop in it.
RedQuad_zpsb3cde989.jpg

Front angle showing the rusty Bills Pipe (it has the emblem on it)
RedQuadBillsPipe_zpsb45597c1.jpg

Broken Motor Mount (Good thing I have a buddy who is a welder for a living and is gonna fix both frames and gusset them for me.
RedQuadMotorMount_zpsb0aa97aa.jpg

I am not sure how I should powder coat the swing-arms though. Should I make them the same as the frame or just go gloss black on both? Same for the rims, how should they be done as they are all all spray painted. I am thinking polished would look best but not sure I can do that on the one pf the bokes as the rims are pretty rough and will need to be sand blasted.

I think these builds will be a lot of fun and I am hoping to have them done sometime late february or early march and then I will head to Koos Bay for a ride.

My trailer will pretty nice when I am all done.

Dad - Susuki LT250R
Mom - 2008 Raptor 250 (She is only 4'11")
Kid 1 - Blaster
Kid 2 - Blaster
Kid 3 - LRX (Korean ATV, same as a Kasea 90)

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing some pics. I would do the swingers a different color than the frame. why not have the rims powder coated as well?

I recently bought two used basket case blaster for for my 10 and 12yr olds to ride moving up from 100 and 110cc bikes. I spent a total of $450 on both bikes to purchase them. Both had blown engines, one came completely stock and the other had a Vito's 240cc kit in that blew breaking the skirt and the cases. I bought used cases (entire lower half of motor) from a guy for $40, we split that engine and rebuilt a fresh engine. I was also able to buy a stock bore head for $20 off of craigslist locally. That head as been bored and mated to the new cases along with a new Pro-X piston. Engine is complete and waiting for the bike to be powder coated.

Bike number 2 wasn't quite so bad off. That engine is getting an entire Hot Rods bottom end kit though as the crank had a little play in it. I will also be boring the head and another Pro-X piston will go into that bike. This bike however, came with a Bills Pipe and silencer. I have not decided if I am going to keep that pipe or not yet. This bike also has a bent forward motor mount that will be cut off and re-welded by a friend of mine.

Both bikes have decent rubber all the way around and one of them came with brand new 21x11x8 sand tires. I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow of the torn apart bike and the bike I hope to tear apart tomorrow if I have time. I am planning on sending both frames to the sand blaster and getting them powder coated. I think one of the bikes will be powder coated florescent green and the blue plastics restored and stripped of the black spray paint for my son. The other bike will be powder coated florescent pink with white plastics for my daughter.

I am not sure how I should powder coat the swing-arms though. Should I make them the same as the frame or just go gloss black on both? Same for the rims, how should they be done as they are all all spray painted. I am thinking polished would look best but not sure I can do that on the one pf the bokes as the rims are pretty rough and will need to be sand blasted.

I think these builds will be a lot of fun and I am hoping to have them done sometime late february or early march and then I will head to Koos Bay for a ride.

My trailer will pretty nice when I am all done.

Dad - Susuki LT250R
Mom - 2008 Raptor 250 (She is only 4'11")
Kid 1 - Blaster
Kid 2 - Blaster
Kid 3 - LRX (Korean ATV, same as a Kasea 90)

Looks like you have two nice projects. Make sure you DON'T powder coat the A-ARMS. They have a plastics retainer ring that holds the ball joint in. Powder coating them can melt that ring and the A-ARMS will be no good. The ball joint are not made to be replaced.

Looks like you have two nice projects. Make sure you DON'T powder coat the A-ARMS. They have a plastics retainer ring that holds the ball joint in. Powder coating them can melt that ring and the A-ARMS will be no good. The ball joint are not made to be replaced.

That's is good information, Thank you sir. I guess I paint those with industrial enamel.

damn vultures already trying to get him to sell/ trade parts lol

my thoughts exactly !!!

sounds like some good deals and great plans ya got I:I

pics, pics, pics !!!!

Got both the bikes stripped down over the past few days and ready to get the frames sand blasted. Here are a few pictures of the aftermath....

DSCN1776_zps7931d86b.jpg

DSCN1782_zps644f770b.jpg

DSCN1781_zpsd4dc9380.jpg

DSCN1780_zps6d46091c.jpg

DSCN1778_zps01484ffe.jpg

Gonna sand blast all the smaller parts myself.

Also got engine #1 back from the mechanic today.

DSCN1786_zps006a277f.jpg

DSCN1785_zps15ede7a5.jpg

Oh Boy Oh boy.... 2 projects at once.. now this can be interesting. Im keeping logged in on this build for sure!!

Nice and clean lookin engine u got there. Keep the pics coming

Dropped both frames off tonight to have some repair work done to them. Tell you what though, trying to find someone willing to blast a frame that is powder coated for a reasonable price is a PitA. Best rate I have found so far is $70 per hour. Guys would do them for $30 per frame if they weren't powdered previously. One more call to make to see if I can get a better deal from a family member with connections :)

Buddy of mine offered me an LT250r motor to put into one of these blasters tonight. I ride an LT myself when we go but I can't imagine one in a tiny Blaster....Has anyone ever tried that on these boards?

Coulpe of updates..

Both frames headed off to the be sandblasted this morning, I should be able to pick them both up this evening. I also found a free LT250R rear shock that I am going to mount on one of the bikes and my buddy has an old Banshee frame that is still pretty much complete but he cut a few of the frame bars out for a project bike he built. Brakes, swinger, axle, bars are still there and its mine for a 12pk. Should be able to start moving along nicely now. Gonna stop by and order a complete Hot Rods bottem end kit for engine #2 today as well.

Well Damn, I organized my photobucket albums and broke the links to the pics in this thread. I can't figure out how to edit the post either.

Anyhow, I started painting the quads today here is what they are so far...no clear coat yet

GreenBlaster.jpg

PinkBlaster.jpg

I also picked up another LT250R for $100 bucks down the street at a yard sale.

85LT250R.jpg