sputtering and bogging!

This bike baffles me. So talked to the dealership and picked up some main and pilot jets. The bike now has a 152 main and a 42 pilot. Started right up but still has trouble idleing. The bike rips through all gears nicely and quick with no hesitation, its just the idle. When I was changing the jets I looked and measured the carb. The carb is a Keighan or how ever you spell it. It states a PWK on it so I think its a 35mm carb because the 34mm is a PJ correct? I measured twice and looks lime it measures 35mm. Question is why is their such a large carb on it, what is done to this quad that you need that size carb?

Last edited:
This bike baffles me. So talked to the dealership and picked up some main and pilit checks. The bike now has a 152 main and a 42 pilot. Started right up but still has trouble idleing. The bike rips through all gears nicely and quick with no hesitation, its just the idle. When I was changing the jets I looked and measured the carb. The carb is a Keighan or how ever you spell it. It states a PWK on it so I think its a 35mm carb because the 34mm is a PJ correct? I measured twice and looks lime it measures 35mm. Question is why is their such a large carb on it, what is done to this quad that you need that size carb?

list all the mods you know again ?

these large carbs are a pain in the wahoo, and not needed.
better off with the stock 26 or 28mm PWK at the most.

Was told before I bought it, this bike was not for unexperienced riders. From what was told to me he said the bike was bored 0.40 over. I know for a fact the bike has:
KEIGHAN CARB PWK measured and looks like 35mm, 152 main jet, 42 pilot jet
throttle body spacer
boysen reeds
Cuppler with 4 inch pipe that connects to K&N filter directly off carb
twist throttle
LRD pipe w/ fmf silencer
thats all I can see besides the parts ive replaced but they are all non performance parts. New wiring harness, coil, stator, fly wheel, clutch basket outer, and seals crank and stator side.

without extensive porting (?) to match the intake and that top end pipe, that carb is hindering more than helping.

So seeing the mods I have would you suggest I get a smaller carb? What size with what jets would you suggest? If i drop down in carb size should I put a filter box and boot back on as well? I dont race just want to ride and as well as the son. The bike has some get up and go now dont want to lose power but would like some sort of reliability as well.

the stock 26mm mikuni carb is really hard to beat for a lightly modified trail blaster.

resorting back to it will require the stock intake and some 310 thru 340 main jets for that pipe.
and some way to rehook the stock airbox(?) with a uni filter, or a smaller boot to refit that K&N onto the smaller carb
alot of us like siliconintakes.com for reducer fittings.

the good news is, i'm willing to bet there's someone willing to trade you for that keihin carb,
or sale it on here or ebay, and buy a stock carb, jets, intake, airfilter/fitting and still maybe pocket a few $

20141223_110304.jpg
20141223_110326.jpg
20141223_110358.jpg

It feels like it would be such a drop going back to stock? I have a brand new uni filter with outerwears. Would it be worth grabbing a CFM air box with the correct reducer because my back plastics are already cut so the stock wont mount up.

Reactions: Daniel Culver
its just preference..but i myself never liked the fuel filters,just another spot to collect dirt.
there is a filter in the tanko_Oalthough it has nuttin to do with your problem lol
i was also hoping it was a pic of it actually on quad.....what quad is in backround with a battery???

I like an airbox over open pod filter directly on the "carby"

get a CFM box, same flow as a direct filter, but time for the air to straighten out and easier jetting without that
un-needed turbulance a direct filter gives you, plus better protection from mud/water.
stick with that carb if you want, it can be made to run OK with some work.
alot of us run 42-50 pilots, 145-162 mains, and a DGH or CEL needle is a 100% requirement.

Yes, the box will give you more protection for sure, and I think you will be surprised, the stock carb may not be much of a step down, unless your cylinder has a lot of port work done. If you take the reeds out and get a pic of the intake, we can tell you if there's work done.

looks wire brushed/or all the black crap has went through the cylinder already lol
dont see grinding marks on intake at least