Smokey Blaster with a little noise

Boblaster

Aug 10, 2008
Michigan
Hi folks,
I just picked up a 2003 blaster for my boy. I have a few questions for anybody that could possibly help.
First - The guy took off the endcap for the stock exhaust. I am planning to order this from the dealer.

More importantly, I got a lot of smoke coming from this machine, and yes I do know its a 2 stroke. Seems like alot of smoke for this. Ive tuned in the carb to the clymars specs, and put new crank and 2 stroke oil in, however its still smoking like an old chevy. Smokes through all gears and from little to full throttle with or without a load. I do have some noise coming from the motor. Could this be a crank going bad? Could I be burning crankcase oil? It starts great and runs strong. So I am kinda scratching my head. Any help with this would be excellent. Thanks.

white smoke = burning clutch oil = blown crank seal or leak between the two case halves...

blue smoke = burning 2stroke oil ( maybe to oil rich in your mix ) but still ok

check the crank seal first, 9 out 10 x's this seems to be the culprit for heavy white smoke, will also make your bike run like sh*t and sound strange...

before you start thinking you have something wrong, put that end cap back on and then see if it smokes more than any other blasters you can find. when the engine is cold it will smoke much worse than when its hot. that is perfectly normal.

you are in fact burning crank case oil at all times. thats how the engine works. the oil you put in the motor is only for the transmission and doesnt touch the crank at all. if you notice you are havign to refill your transmission oil on occasion then most likely have a bad seal between the tranny and crank. if you are not, then its probably working as designed.

these motors make all kidns of noises. the noises also vary depending on engine temperature. the best way to know is to take it to a yamaha mechanic and have him listen to it ( or even someone who knows blasters) majority of the time all the rattles and pings are normal operating noises. its the clanks and clicks you gotta worry about.

is it still running the stock oil injection system or are you having to premix? if you have the factory oil tank on the rear and its all hooked up still you have no need to put mixed fuel in it. if that tank is gone or disconnected you will be running premixed fuel at a 32:1 ratio.

adding premixed fuel to a blaster with the oil injection will foul plugs and cause it to smoke terribly. hopefully thats not the case.

congrats on joining the 2-stroke addiction.

Thanks for the advise folks. What I have is all blue smoke, I should have stated that earlier. Its been many moons since my last 2 stroke, so this advise is coming in handy. Ill try putting the end cap on before I take it in to the shop. I still have the oil pump hooked up and using Yamalube right now. Ill see how this oil injection works for now and leave it alone.
Does anyone know the stock main jet # for this 2003. It has a 230 inside now and it came with a 240 in the tool kit. The 240 would enrichen the mix at 3/4 to full throttle, correct? Im not sure if I am still running too high a number now.

230 is the stock size, I have an aftermarket pipe and removed my airbox lid, and am running a 260, my buddy did the same and is running a 270. Is it pretty much stock? Reeds, carb, pipe, etc?

If I remember correctly, the stock oil injection pushes more oil in then 32:1, so it would smoke more than a premixed.

Its completely stock, as far as I know. I guess I wont know for sure until I pop the head off. Im not too worried about it. It seems to run great and has full power. Thanks.