shifter does not return consistently

trailripper1500

Feb 16, 2008
Hope Valley RI
if i shift from second to first, without it running, and try to shift it back to 1st, you have to slam our foot on the shifter to make it go back. and then, if you go from neutral to first the shifter will not spring back up. i took the case off and if you bump the shift star thing, it will pop back up. it seems to me like my spring is shot.

you realize when sitting still, you have to rock the quad till it clicks in gear then you can shift back up to 2nd right? thats how they all are, and i wouldnt suggest SLAMING your foot on the shifter any time. how long have you had your blaster?

i bought it in february for $600 and it was beat to hell. the guy i bought it from didn't tell me about a lot of things that needed to be fixed or replaced. it pisses me off because i'll get to a point where i think it will be running soon, and then i find something else that's wrong. so, it really cost me more than 600 in the end unfortunately.

How does it respond while riding instead of sitting still, does it work fine? Like custom said, you cannot shift through the gears while sitting still, unless you rock the bike to engage the gear before shifting to the next. If there is a problem, I would take off the clutch side cover, and inspect the shift shaft, star gear and springs. There may be an obvious problem. Lastly if it is not working right, and nothing is wrong in the clutch cover, THEN, I would split the cases to worry about the shift forks and what not, but I don't think that is the case with yours.

lol i wana hear about the 1 day someone doesnt realize theres oil in the clutch cover(somehow lol) and just pulls it off and oil EVERYWHERE. would make my day lol.

my cousin tried it while i was trying to tune the idle screw and it would not move and died. i think it wasn't running right because the gas was not mixed very well and the idle was not set. if i could get bit running long enough it may work but before i changed my clutch, i would have no problem shiftinfg gears while sitting with the quad off. i mixed the gas today and shook the hell out of it and made sure it was 32:1 so i'll try what you guys said in getting it running but one thing i noticed is the shifter lever will move out out and in if yopu pull it and moves close to 1/4 inch. i'm gonna look it up in the manual that i downloaded.

i haven't run it since i last tried it but al i have to do is pull my clutch basket and inner basket so i can get a better look. i think i'd rather do that and see if a local dealer can do the shift star mod before i put the thing back together. i think soon i may port it and then sell it but not sure about that.

i figured out why it wouldn't move: the kickstart spring was stuck in one of the gears, most likely first, or the gear under the kickstart assembly. i got my clutch dialed in so i'm just waiting to try and figure out hopw to fix my spring and put it in the right spot any tips would be appreciated.