Shift shaft won't shift past third

Blasterbro89

Aug 22, 2015
Buffalo NY
rebuilt my 89 blaster and my shift shaft won't shift past third normally but will go through all the gears if I push down slightly when I hit third and then it will go into fourth and then fifth and the repeat with pushing it down to get it to 6 th. what is my problem please help.

did you watch any of these?
sounds hard to ride if idle is stripped/it is sputtering and backfiring lol

Watched all of his vids and did everything he said even used a bike peg for the heating of the inner race and even made sure it shifted through all the gears before closing the cases.

It's shifting thru the gears with you helping it, so the problem isn't inside the gearbox.

most likely it's the shift shaft flange thingy (I forget the word) not returning to it's nuetral position after shifting, thats why you helping by manually pushing it down with your foot helps.
time to pull the clutch cover and inspect where the shift shaft rotates the shift star, there's 2 spring ends that must be hooked inside the flange thingy, that return it to it's nuetral position after shifting.

helps to have the clutch/basket out of the way to see whats going on down there between shift shaft and shift star.
you need to be rotating the engine output gear to get it to shift while you inspect, either with chain off/by hand or rearend on jack spinning the wheels.

I've also heard of too long of magnetic oil drain bolt causing similar symptoms

It's shifting thru the gears with you helping it, so the problem isn't inside the gearbox.

most likely it's the shift shaft flange thingy (I forget the word) not returning to it's nuetral position after shifting, thats why you helping by manually pushing it down with your foot helps.
time to pull the clutch cover and inspect where the shift shaft rotates the shift star, there's 2 spring ends that must be hooked inside the flange thingy, that return it to it's nuetral position after shifting.

helps to have the clutch/basket out of the way to see whats going on down there between shift shaft and shift star.
you need to be rotating the engine output gear to get it to shift while you inspect, either with chain off/by hand or rearend on jack spinning the wheels.

I've also heard of too long of magnetic oil drain bolt causing similar symptoms
I'll check the drain plug tommrow is it the one on the bottom of the case or the one on the left hand side under the output sproketI haven't take the right side cover off yet will do that I would like to get the ting running first

sorry that I had to comment on an older post but yeah Im having a hard with this Page, so over the weekend that passed I decided to finally fix up the bike. Basically the engine I had in the bike well we broke the flywheel stub, where the magneto bolts to, so we went out and finally got a new motor for her the only problem was I had to rebuild the old clutch from the existing motor onto the new motor seeing that there was no clutch on the new motor. The new motor is indeed a rebuild but its a really clean motor, so we went at it and we got the new clutch on and the clutch seems to be working. Now it seems like we not hitting any gears, so we opened up the side cover for the clutch assembly once again, the selector is actually working and it does go into gear but the outer housing of the clutch assembly 'THE BASKET" is not turning with the outer gears we even disconnected the clutch cable so there's no tension on the clutch but still nothing. and still the same. So we took of the clutch, every thing except the outer housing of the blotch assembly the one with the big gear at the back so now its actually turning with the rest of the motor but as soon as we but the inner housing and the clutch plates back it doesn't turn with the bike any more?

Pleas help me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
dots aligned on pressure plate and inner clutch basket ?

2567cyc.jpg

is the ball present between the 2 inner rods ? parts # 18, 21, 22 (orange circle)
washers installed all correct ? (green arrows)

ya6263_15.gif

clutch assembled and adjustment of rod done according to KOR assembly vids ?.............
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/

Does the inner boss on the clutch spin freely before you put the clutch plates in I had that problem on one of my clutchs it was the basket and not the boss you should try to see if that is ur problem

Does the inner boss on the clutch spin freely before you put the clutch plates in I had that problem on one of my clutchs it was the basket and not the boss you should try to see if that is ur problem
Thank you so much!
The video really help, all the washers, bolts and lock washers are fitted 100% according to the video.
I really didn't know that the steel plates for the clutch assembly had a rough and a smooth side and that the rough side should be facing down. So thank you for showing me.
The clutch assembly only fit on one way (clutch basket and bowl) cause if I fit it on any other way it there's quite a big gap left at the top and on mine there's no markings to indicate.

On the video I picket up that there is actually a ball bearing that comes between the two shafts (NUMBER 21) that I must have left out or forgot to put in

Thank you so much!
The video really help, all the washers, bolts and lock washers are fitted 100% according to the video.
I really didn't know that the steel plates for the clutch assembly had a rough and a smooth side and that the rough side should be facing down. So thank you for showing me.
The clutch assembly only fit on one way (clutch basket and bowl) cause if I fit it on any other way it there's quite a big gap left at the top and on mine there's no markings to indicate.

On the video I picket up that there is actually a ball bearing that comes between the two shafts (NUMBER 21) that I must have left out or forgot to put in
The clutch actually does spin freely before I put in any clutch plates...
May I ask you to explain what you mean?

On the video I picked up that there is actually a ball bearing that comes between the two shafts (NUMBER 21) that I must have left out or forgot to put in

there's you're problem, without the ball, the clutch lever/actuator and rods cannot push the pressure plate out far enuf to release the pressure against the clutch plates

The clutch actually does spin freely before I put in any clutch plates...

put the ball in between the rods, adjust according to the video, and it should be pushing the pressure plate off the clutch plates about an 1/8", enuf to relieve the pressure and allow the plates to slip instead of grab