Setup questions about pipe and carb

Bmwe30sport

Oct 26, 2009
Rhode Island
Well its almost time to start buying parts to build the motor and I have a few questions. I want to do a nice "trail" port job on the jug and also have the head rechamberd, piston's ports enlarged. So with that being the plan Im stuck on which pipe to buy, I would love to go with the LRD but I plan on bringing the bike to a few state owned trails and possibly silver lake which all require the use of a spark arrestor. Now I had a Toomey B1 on my my 98 and loved the pipe from its performance to its quality and since Toomey offers a US forest approved spark arrestor I'm now considering this option.

Do you guys think that if a builder built my motor to work with the Toomey B1 that i would still have almost the same outcome as if i would have a builder build my motor to work with a LRD?

I also plan on running a 28mm Keihin carb, this size carb should still work with stock intake boots,correct?

Last question, what is a better clutch to use EBC or a Barnett?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

In my research I have found that the LRD seems to be quieter than the Toomey. Hopefully, someone on here has had both and will be able to offer some advice. If not talk with your engine builder about your concerns and ask what they recommend.

i dont think u can get the same power from a toomey that u can get from an lrd......but ur builder can tell u what the best setup would be

Yea probably right about asking a builder, I thought i could probably find the answer out without bothering one of the builders, guess ill wait to find out when its time to have the port work done.

Between the EBC and barnett clutch which one is a better clutch?