runs with uncontrolable hig revs

ccolt1

May 30, 2010
N. Ca
Hi I have a 2001 blaster and its has always ran fine for the two yrs I have owned it. Today I started to ride it and noticed that the idle was high a min into riding. I stopped it to check and now it seems like as soon as u start it idles at half throttle. I have never had problems till today. I did put fresh gas in 92 octane.... The throttle does not seem to be sticking and I took apart the top of the throttle box above thumb throttle. Nothing is sticking... I would like to know what to check and where? I dont have a manual as I lost it on my computer and need to find where to down load. It is my daughters quad and need help so she can ride it.. Please help... Thanks!:-/

That is a text book case of an air leak , don't ride it until you find it . The airleak can roast your top end and send chunks of it into your bottom end . $$$$$$$$
Do a compression test , do a leak down test , look at your spark plug for scorch marks ( signs of excessive heat in the cylinder ).
Air Leak testers can be purchased from this site , or you can make your own , we arent here to rip no one off . Have you modified anything ? if so let us know . When was the last time you cleaned the carb? and air filter? changed reeds ? It sounds like some much needed maintenance should be done .

jip, clasic air leak, you need to do a leak test ASAP. dont run it anymore until you find the leak, most likely around the reed cage gasket but probably not the only one

I will try to do what you guys say... I need to google leak down test to figure out how to do.. When we bought it had a FML pipe and baffle with the oil injection taken off... It ran like a bat out of hell to yesterday always starting on first or second kick. The way it ran I would say the people before had put the right jets in carb etc.. Would water in gas do anything like this?? just curious as after my daughter ran the last time I noitced the vent tube off the gas cap and we store outside under cover so was just wondering if water might have got into fuel? I did spray carb cleaner around the carb and where it mounts to the motor to see if it would kill etc and it did nothing just cleaned the stuff off... I did noticed that it seemed to not want to shut of with the key or kill switch the first time it did this. The second time it did kill it but after 10 or so secs. Thanks

I would be checking to see what main jet is in there, and expect to see around the #270 - #280 mark.

A FMF pipe can seem to run really well on the stock jet, but would be starving for fuel.

Heres the link to the manual.

http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

As to not shutting off, It sounds like the motor is getting hot and suffering pre ignition, could be caused by lean mix, wrong heat range plug, use B8ES.

Could be caused by an air leak, you need to leak down test. There is a search function which works real well.

Water can also cause a lean mix as the main cannot pick up the correct amount of fuel.

I had the same problem with my sons blaster back in the fall. Turned out to be a bad base gasket. I found where the air leak was by spraying carb cleaner (I think) at all the places it could have been sucking air ( between cylinder and bottom end, cylinder and head, carb to intake, intake to reeds). When I sprayed where the cylinder meets the bottom end the over revving ceased for a few seconds. Installed a new gasket and that took care of it. I got this tip from one of the mechanics I've known for years at the local shop I use. It took less that 30 seconds to do this test.
I agree with the others, I wouldn't ride it until you get this sorted out.