runs rich then lean

blaster007

Apr 15, 2010
Pa
If i don't ride my blaster for a couple days it runs rich at first with a lot of smoke coming out an then when it warms up it runs lean with hardly any smoke. What could be causing this?

well if its been sitting then the oil kind of just builds up, so when you start it up it burns, thats basically all that is, and it shouldnt smoke a lot when riding.
do a few plug chops that will let you know if it actually is lean or not

well if its been sitting then the oil kind of just builds up, so when you start it up it burns, thats basically all that is, and it shouldnt smoke a lot when riding.
do a few plug chops that will let you know if it actually is lean or not

right on bro I:I

Sounds like a typical 2-stroke. Usually you will get a lot of smoke but as the motor warms up you will get little to no smoke, most oils now days are designed to be smokeless. So I doubt that you bike is starting rich then going lean, but just incase a plug chop sounds like it is in store.

It may sound odd but what is a plug chop? My blaster needs starting fluid to start. will idle when choked, but not when unchoked. it sputters while riding. Still trying to figure out what may be wrong.I am going to check the screen that leads to the motor. I also cleaned the carb out. I just bought a carb rebuild kit. I have made no air adjustment yet.

a plug chop basically is get it to the top of 6 gear, in other words top speed, hold it there for a few seconds then hold the clutch and shut it off.
after that check your plug, if its dark and oily, you are running rich
if its white your running lean
if its a cardboard color your good to go

haha ong starting fliud to start it=bad...stop that nonsense...sounds like you need to put a fatter (bigger) main jet in it...what size are yo urunning now??? and what mods do you have????

mine did the samething same exact thing as that and my gas tank just needed cleaned sometimes it wouldnt run sometimes it would and sputer wana die everything like that cleaned the gas tank and then it ran great so id check the jetting and mabey the reeds

No mods yet. everything is stock. I am guessing stock jets, etc.. i do not have a muffler on it mine is clogged. does that make a difference?