running ?

ron89

Feb 20, 2008
bensalem PA..
ok, well i threw new rings in the blaster honed the cylinder and all that, and my blaster is running a 270main jet uni air filter pipe and all that good stuff lol , and klotz mixed at 32:1, when i fired it up it smoked a good amount so i kept doing the break in and i checked the plug it was wet, so today i pulled the air box lid and took her out it felt alot better and opened her up a little bit and checked the plug and it was like a gray color idk is thats ok to run it like that .. i have some pics below .. u think i should run it the way it is ? or run with the air box lid on and have a wet ish plug ?..

Picture004.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture005.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture006.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture007.jpg
[/IMG]

lmk what u guys think ..

If that's what it looks like with the lid off. Then keep the lid off. That still looks excessively rich, you might start fouling plugs if its even richer then that with the lid on. Running it on the richer side is a lot safer and cheaper then lean (plugs are cheaper then pistons)... Unless you are racing. Then you will want you plug golden brown - dead on.

If that's what it looks like with the lid off. Then keep the lid off. That still looks excessively rich, you might start fouling plugs if its even richer then that with the lid on. Running it on the richer side is a lot safer and cheaper then lean (plugs are cheaper then pistons)... Unless you are racing. Then you will want you plug golden brown - dead on.

ok thanks for the info .. i think it will get better when i can open it up more .. that was only getting on it a little bit only went into 3rd, and then just messed around and then let it cool and checked the plug lol .. but why is it like Grey/white shouldn't it be black ish gold or some ting like that ?.. i guess the more i run it the more ill see it chage .. should i mess with the air screw any ?..

did you scrub the living hell out of the cylinder after doing the hone and before reassembly? paper towel should come out spotless if done correctly, could be honing dust getting magnetically charged and sticking to the plug, also could be your rings. just some thoughts, gray isn't exactly normal, sounds like a wear issue to me but each oil burns slightly different too so its hard to be sure and im not trying to stress you out ron just asking questions...

did you scrub the living hell out of the cylinder after doing the hone and before reassembly? paper towel should come out spotless if done correctly, could be honing dust getting magnetically charged and sticking to the plug, also could be your rings. just some thoughts, gray isn't exactly normal, sounds like a wear issue to me but each oil burns slightly different too so its hard to be sure and im not trying to stress you out ron just asking questions...

its cool man thanks for the reply .. yeah i cleaned the cylinder with soap and water and wiped it down made sure every thing was clean be for i installed it .. idk i put the rings on right it still has alot of compression .. yeah the plug is kinda old , i never threw a new 1 in cause i wanted to see what colors i would get , u think i should bold the lid back on and run it where the plug is getting wet as long as its not fouling plugs cause i am going to be doing alot of riding and i don't want to over heat the motor lol ? .. or u think i should put a new plug in and open it up a couple time like 6th gear WOT as soon as i am done break in lol ?..

mutany15, thanks for the link .. but aren't they 4stroke plugs ? jw ..

I believe they are, but its still a useful link to try and diagnose problems... ignition is ignition whether it be a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. I guess there would be subtle differences but nothing substantial as to not even be able to make a comparisons in plugs from one engine to the other.

I believe they are, but its still a useful link to try and diagnose problems... ignition is ignition whether it be a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. I guess there would be subtle differences but nothing substantial as to not even be able to make a comparisons in plugs from one engine to the other.

yeah i here ya man ,, mm i really did see a plug that looked like mine tho ..

i'm kinda lost what i should do cause it runs great starts on first kick and every thing,, but i don't want any probs when i go away for the 4th cause i wont have that manny tools or access to good plugs up there and so on lol ..

your main jet size only affects the mixture at wot.
if your plug looks like that at 0-1/3 or so throttle, then you can make adjustments to it via the air screw.

buy two plugs, one for now and one for a spare, put the lid back on and let it run abit rich, as long as its not hesitating, just my opinion.

5316.jpg
[/IMG]

6864.jpg
[/IMG]

i go to open her up, and i let her cool and pulled the plug and thats how she looks is that good or bad that its red??

clean your plug with carb cleaner and super fine grit sand paper. then clean it again.
then..... run at wide open throttle for a bit and see what color it is.

even a perfect jet job will look black if you are going at low rpm's.. you need to have a lot of rpm's going to really check a plug.

actually your plug looks just about right, put the airbox back on and do a plug check but from what i see its pretty close

ok thanks for your help guys .. i am going to put it back on for now cause i am going ridin up the mountains and i think thats going to mess with the jetting any way ..