Rotax 617 into my 94' ZR-440

Managed to squeeze in a bit of fab time between work and family time since they let me off early at my job from being slow :p

Oil and coolant res tank mount is now bolted in!

photobucket-7951-1341429262385.jpg

Ripped out the old chunk of metal that acted as a splitter or something and put this in as a support. Sucker is solid!

photobucket-5975-1341429288460.jpg

Everything manages to fit under the hood better than I could have hoped for!

photobucket-9657-1341429209357.jpg

Gonna need to finish up that wiring when I can, then it's on to that engine mount...

Didnt realize how tired I was until I sat out in the heat for a bit after work XD Managed to break down the brake lever and see that the switch for the brake light is down, so I either need to buy a new one or modify the perch to hold the Mach 1's switch, leaning towards getting a new one. Got the Hi/Low beam switch soldered up and verified function, also pulled the throttle lever and kill switch assembly off the Mach 1's bars and put them on the 440's bars. Still got a bit of work to do, will crack on some more of it tomorrow!

photobucket-10918-1341543186097.jpg

Thanks guys, been the only thing keeping me sane from how much i've been working lol. Did a little digging today, apparently that engine puts out around 110hp and has some great mid range. Im gonna poop myself when I open up the taps on it LOL. We'll have to see how it compares to my freshly rebuilt F3 when she's all done! Time to get out there and do a little more work :p

Got a decent amount of progress tonight!

Fuel pumps are in!
photobucket-9651-1341629327174.jpg

Also got a start on the tank, holes are drilled to mount the fuel level and for the 2 new lines coming from the tank to feed the pumps. Also was able to use the cap from the Mach 1's tank, muahahaha! No more floats to fall into the tank! LOL
photobucket-5439-1341629349785.jpg

photobucket-4161-1341630654011.jpg

Got the track pulled from the Mach 1 as well so I can use it on the 440 and the secondary clutch (gotta thank my bud for that one lol, was a pita to get out!).

Found out I need to do a bit more TLC on the ZR's chassis on top of it all, the shaft that holds the secondary and feeds into the chain case needs new bearings on it, lots of slop there!

Now it's time for some sleep, gonna search on digikey tomorrow for my brake light switch and get that headlight soldered up. Might finally finish the gauge cluster as well!

Got the fuel level mounted in there! Made a plate out of 1/8" aluminum and threaded it then epoxied it into the tank itself to give the screws something to bite in to.

photobucket-3965-1341722077946.jpg

Got some water in the tank today, so far no leaks! Tank level also works as it should! Going to apply a little pressure to it when i get off work and see if I can force any leaks to show up that are there.

Had a leak at the level gauge -.- so im gonna need to break out the silicone! Also remade the plates out of 1/4" aluminum so the screws have a bit more thread to play with. Instead of epoxying them in I will use some of the countersunk 4mm screws I have and bolt them in place:

photobucket-10879-1341790214452.jpg

went out to do the shop to make some progress on the sled, well only ended up getting one thing accomplished since it was a much bigger pain than anticipated to accomplish! The secondary clutch was well rusted on to the drive shaft, so I ended up having a bud hold the sled while I pounded on the shaft with a tool steel grade punch and a 5hp brigs and straton engine to get it to budge (I needed a bigger hammer than what I had).

Edit: undid the damage i cause to the bearing carrier! Now I can concentrate on the rest of what needs to be done. Also got the rear coolant hose modded to fit.

Last edited:
Got a little bit of progress done tonight, trimmed out the seat to get the coolant hose to fit and drilled a hole to pass the fuel level connector into the back compartment. Need to make a shroud to seal off that compartment and extend the electrical to reach back there. Also should be good to go in getting the seat mount done now.

photobucket-3412-1341974771363.jpg

As it sits:

photobucket-6875-1341975102704.jpg

Any updates on this swap? Your teasing us with all the pics and then nothing for a month.lol

Not yet, just been busy working on vehicles and havent had time for the toys. This next pay day i will get my material for the engine mount and hopefully can get some machine work done to get that secondary clutch on and the sled on the ground. So soon you will have more pics to drool over as well as some from my other projects :p

went out to do the shop to make some progress on the sled, well only ended up getting one thing accomplished since it was a much bigger pain than anticipated to accomplish! The secondary clutch was well rusted on to the drive shaft, so I ended up having a bud hold the sled while I pounded on the shaft with a tool steel grade punch and a 5hp brigs and straton engine to get it to budge (I needed a bigger hammer than what I had).

Edit: undid the damage i cause to the bearing carrier! Now I can concentrate on the rest of what needs to be done. Also got the rear coolant hose modded to fit.

umm you pounded the punch with an engine????

ohh boy, winter is right around the corner here so I'm gonna start getting some more progress done on this thing and my other sled.

Here's the work bench for now :p

photobucket-12816-1349578450077.jpg