Removing the crank seal

Nov 29, 2016
How do I remove the stator side crank seal? Is it suppose to be all the way up against the bearing? It's pushed way in and has some type of sealant around it

Carefully drill a small hole in the seal wall, screw a drywall screw into the seal and pull it out. DON'T HIT THE BEARING WITH THE DRILL, SCREW, OR SEAL. The seal should be installed flush with the chamfer of the seal bore.

put the bit in the drill with just an 1/8" sticking out so you don't go too deep.
break a bit in 1/2 if needed to get it to go into the chuck deep enough.

I've done them without drilling using a sharp drywall screw and slow speed impact driver.
slow and careful !

Thanks guys I got it out. Now that it's out, there is play in the crank. I can move it up and down.bthere shouldn't be play right?

Yeah, so 2 things, since it was a fresh top end, could I have done any damage to it running it like that? Only ran it long enough to know it wasn't running right. Also if I'm going to have to split the cases I would like to drop a stroker crank in there. I just had it ported, but I should still be able to put that crank in right?