Looking for my first Blaster

I prefer dual element foam filters suck as Uni.

A K&N type with the addition of an Outerwears isn't bad, but I think a quality dual element foam filter is best.

So how does she run??

What kind of mods are you considering?

My daughter has her first part time job and is saving for a CT full exhaust for her. I think it's fair to let her have a turn and paying for parts. I sunk a good bit of money getting it fixed up mechanically for her. It's basically a 2-part build. We wanted to get it mechanically sound and rideable. That's pretty much done. Next phase is a frame-off facelift. Powder coat the frame (she wants a metal flake purple) new black plastics, Banshee rear hub conversion so we can get some new black wheels for it, and exhaust. Plus some other bits like a new set of bars and grips, she also wants ASV levers. I have an ASV clutch lever setup on my big bore 250R and it's awesome. I have a thread about her Blaster in the full rebuild section. You might find it interesting.

Here is my build thread.

I prefer dual element foam filters suck as Uni.

A K&N type with the addition of an Outerwears isn't bad, but I think a quality dual element foam filter is best.

So how does she run??

What kind of mods are you considering?

My daughter has her first part time job and is saving for a CT full exhaust for her. I think it's fair to let her have a turn and paying for parts. I sunk a good bit of money getting it fixed up mechanically for her. It's basically a 2-part build. We wanted to get it mechanically sound and rideable. That's pretty much done. Next phase is a frame-off facelift. Powder coat the frame (she wants a metal flake purple) new black plastics, Banshee rear hub conversion so we can get some new black wheels for it, and exhaust. Plus some other bits like a new set of bars and grips, she also wants ASV levers. I have an ASV clutch lever setup on my big bore 250R and it's awesome. I have a thread about her Blaster in the full rebuild section. You might find it interesting.
Runs fantastic. Thanks!

I’m new to blasters. Actually haven’t had a quad in many many years. Out of everything I looked over on this, the fricken air box lid is non existent. Are all the air box lids on these blasters the same? Found on on eBay I’m going to order..

I will definitely check out the build thread! Just got to work actually. I’m pretty amped. Not to mention I think I got this thing for a real good price!

I appreciate all of your input!

No clue on mods yet. I plan to just ride it but I guarantee mods are going to happen. It’s inevitable 🤣

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r
Runs fantastic. Thanks!

I’m new to blasters. Actually haven’t had a quad in many many years. Out of everything I looked over on this, the fricken air box lid is non existent. Are all the air box lids on these blasters the same? Found on on eBay I’m going to order..

I will definitely check out the build thread! Just got to work actually. I’m pretty amped. Not to mention I think I got this thing for a real good price!

No clue on mods yet. I plan to just ride it but I guarantee mods are going to happen. It’s inevitable 🤣
Oh, do you know the thread size for the airbox lid bolts by chance? Guess I’m going to need those too

Runs fantastic. Thanks!

Someone must have removed the air box lid to uncork a wee bit more power.
Oh, do you know the thread size for the airbox lid bolts by chance? Guess I’m going to need those too
Off the top of my head, I don't. Sorry.

Someone must have removed the air box lid to uncork a wee bit more power.

Off the top of my head, I don't. Sorry.
I guess so. Lol. I’ll order one along with bolts for it.
Rode it for probably 25 mins last night. It did, a couple times, when slowing down with the clutch held, stall on me. Kinda big down just a bit and die. It does seem a little boggy at the beginning of the throttle. Throttle also feels a little stiff. I believe the Tors has been deleted as there is only one cable going to the throttle…Other than this it seems to be fine, I’m sure I’ll find more issues as I go. As I am expecting. I appreciate all the input!! It all helps as I’ve never owned a blaster

Sounds like it might benefit from some jetting adjustments, particularly on the pilot and/or idle air screw. As with any engine, you want it to be fully up to temp to be able to dial in the jetting the best.

Just found a good thread on here regarding this.
I think I’m going to order the airbox lid.
All the stickers on it peel off pretty easily, so that’s a plus. I think I’m going to get them all off and eventually paint the plastics. Also noticed a mounting screw missing on the fuel tank. Little odds and ends here and there. Glad to have a little project that didn’t cost me a fortune.

These 2 strokes do take a bit of getting used to, riding in the power band and what not. Such a blast…er

Sounds like it might benefit from some jetting adjustments, particularly on the pilot and/or idle air screw. As with any engine, you want it to be fully up to temp to be able to dial in the jetting the best.
I reset the air screw. Turned it all the way in and then 1.5 turns out. Seems to idle perfect now. Fired up first kick of the day. Smokes real bad. New air filter will be there this evening so hopefully that helps. The one on there is pretty bad shape.

As to your missing hardware, just the other day I took delivery from RMATV for two metric ATV hardware kits. One Tusk brand, the other Bolt brand. My wife recently picked up an 05 Honda Rubicon that came with the fuel tank and some of the body work removed and there was a bunch of random hardware missing. I bought one of each brand of kit just to see if one was better than the other. Both are very good. A nice assortment of good hardware in sizes common to Japanese ATVs. Much better then multiple runs to the local hardware store. I think you would also find either or both handy for replacing some missing hardware on your Blaster.

I'll post a link to both.

Reactions: Mike49321
I reset the air screw. Turned it all the way in and then 1.5 turns out. Seems to idle perfect now. Fired up first kick of the day. Smokes real bad. New air filter will be there this evening so hopefully that helps. The one on there is pretty bad shape.
I also don’t think it smoked bad until I put gas in it. I was measuring oil and the tube for the syringe fell into the oil so I eyeballed it off the side of the oil jug. May drain the gas and do fresh, correctly measured, and see if there’s a difference. Put a new spark plug in also as the one in it was pretty black
All in all, I’m pretty happy to have myself a little project toy lol

As to your missing hardware, just the other day I took delivery from RMATV for two metric ATV hardware kits. One Tusk brand, the other Bolt brand. My wife recently picked up an 05 Honda Rubicon that came with the fuel tank and some of the body work removed and there was a bunch of random hardware missing. I bought one of each brand of kit just to see if one was better than the other. Both are very good. A nice assortment of good hardware in sizes common to Japanese ATVs. Much better then multiple runs to the local hardware store. I think you would also find either or both handy for replacing some missing hardware on your Blaster.

I'll post a link to both.
Awesome. I appreciate this!

I'm not sure what premix ratio you were shooting for, but a little extra oil doesn't really hurt anything. The Blasters are oil injected originally. If yours has had the oil injection deleted I would recommend a premix ratio of 32:1 with a good quality oil. I run all of my 2-strokes 32:1, everything from chainsaws and weed eaters to my big bore ATC250R. Don't fall for the promise of a healthy engine at 100:1 as some may claim. You are reducing the lubrication to all of the major moving internal engine parts. Don't play with fuel/oil ratio in an attempt to remedy fouling sparkplugs. That is really and truly fixed by dialing in jetting better. And believe it or not, when you reduce oil in the mix, you are actually enriching combustion mixture. Think of it this way, your fuel jets only pass so much volume of fuel/oil mix. If you reduce the oil in the mix, fuel will then be increased in the absence of oil, thus enriching the actual combustion mix while at the same time reducing the lubrication for all of the major engine internals.

There are more oil threads on the interweb than you can shake a stick at. So do your research and come to a conclusion that works for you. Once you've settled on a given oil and mix ratio, then make whatever jetting adjustments that may be required, if any 👍🏻