Rear Axle/Carrier Bearing Install?

BastinPastYou

Dec 4, 2008
My rear carrier bearings are SHOT. I am trying to replace them and I have everything off but the axle won't slide thru when I bang on the left side. What am I doing wrong? :(

Last edited:
Does the gear spindle just slide over the nut threads or is it threaded on too? I banged on the spindle and its not moving or coming loose, I don't know whats holding it.

It slides over the threads, correct. You should be able to tap on the 'gear spindle' or the thing that your rear sprocket bolts to, and it will slide out of the carrier towards the left...or you can keep it there and push the axle through it.

Hammer harder, but put the hub and bolt back on so that you don't damage the threads on the end of the axle.

Hammer harder, but put the hub and bolt back on so that you don't damage the threads on the end of the axle.

That's what I did. I ended up completely bending and ruining the nut and it's still held solid. I was pounding on the spindle but I was afraid I was going to break it too. :(

Damn!!

If it's jsut the very end of the threads you may be able to fix it with a file. If not, a thread chaser maybe?

What kinda mallet you got?? You're not using a regular hammer, are you?? I guess I forgot to say BFH!! They get the job done! Try having someone sit on the blaster and keep it from moving when you hit.

Another thing to try would be to get the whole carrier off, put a nice thick piece of wood on the ground (pavement or concrete, dirt will cushion the impact), hold the carrier by it's two 'handles' and with the threads protected, slam that biatch down!!

If you've seen the manual, you've seen how the thing goes together...there is only one way. There are many ways you can devise to get it to come apart though!!

Damn!!

If it's jsut the very end of the threads you may be able to fix it with a file. If not, a thread chaser maybe?

What kinda mallet you got?? You're not using a regular hammer, are you?? I guess I forgot to say BFH!! They get the job done! Try having someone sit on the blaster and keep it from moving when you hit.

Another thing to try would be to get the whole carrier off, put a nice thick piece of wood on the ground (pavement or concrete, dirt will cushion the impact), hold the carrier by it's two 'handles' and with the threads protected, slam that biatch down!!

If you've seen the manual, you've seen how the thing goes together...there is only one way. There are many ways you can devise to get it to come apart though!!

Will do. I bent the nut, the threads on the axle are fine. I am using a banger hammer. I figured if that cannot knock it loose how is a rubber one going to? =))

i had trouble doing this and i bent the key way in it lol i just drilled it and re threded but try to heat up the hub for sprocket with a blow dryer or somethen and then hammer away make sure u heat up good

i had trouble doing this and i bent the key way in it lol i just drilled it and re threded but try to heat up the hub for sprocket with a blow dryer or somethen and then hammer away make sure u heat up good

Thanks. I also had a problem taking off the rear rotor bolts. I had my HD impact gun on it and they would not budge. I had to heat up the back of them with a mapp gas torch. I had the pressure turned down on the impact gun but still managed to strip one of the nuts and had to cut it out with my cutting torch. You can see where I had to cut it in the picture.

It looks like there is threadlocker red on the gear spindle. I tried heating it with the torch but its pretty stubborn. Does it slide off just like the end hubs do? The end hubs were lubed up and slid off without me even touching them.

I guess its just stubborn like trying to take a wheel stud out?

The best way I have found is to remove the carrier then put a piece of wood down on the grass.Take the carrier and hold it were the two bolts go through and slam the end of the axle down on the wood(put the nut on the end).I also use some pb blaster or any penetrating oil and let it sit for awhile.I did one recently and couldnot get it out so I soaked it for 24 hours and did what I just told you and it worked great.You should be slamming the end where the lock nuts go on (sprocket side). Hope this helps.

I hate ta say it but last summer whn i replaced mine we put a deep socket over the threads to protect em and banged on it with a sledge and it still wouldnt budge, i eneded up having to take it to a buddys shop where it had a press and we had to press the axle out. but thats the worse case senarial i guess...good luck ..if all else faile just keep hitting on it..if you have a thread thats ,esswed up cause yu didnt protect em take a hack saw with a good blade and slowly cut a new thread into it, straiten up the messed up thread with the hack saw..unless you mushroomed the whole end, then you may be screwed.

My rear carrier bearings are SHOT. I am trying to replace them and I have everything off but the axle won't slide thru when I bang on the left side. What am I doing wrong? :(

1. Get a 8''x8'' block of wood
2. Get a sledgehammer.
3. Put your blaster on the ground resting on the bearing carrier (if you have a rubber carpet it helps it from sliding.)
4. Drill a hole in the block of wood that matches the height of the axle that's slightly bigger than the threaded ends of the axle. Make sure it sits snug against the axle.
5. Put the block on and imagine a person you wanna kill is the block and summon the power of the gods to hit that thing as hard as you can, its not gonna break.
Also heat up the area , not too hot, and spray automatic transmission fluid and acetone mix on it 60:40 ATfluid:acetone, remember don't heat it so much that it will evaporate cause it makes nasty fumes, just hot enough that you cant touch it. Good luck.
HIT THAT sh*t HARD TOOX(

Bit late in answering he has prolly worn out 2 more sets of bearings by now.

It pays to check the date of the posts shown on the top left.