questions about tools

beaten blaster

Oct 7, 2012
upstate ny( plattsburgh)
i am making my christmas list for wifey.and i am looking into getting a few new tools for around the house and to help with the blasty..first i am looking into a impact driver possibly cordless but i know nothing about torque power speed etc..next is a blind bearing puller with hammer i think it's called.again i know nothing about brands,quality.and lastly possibly a arbor press to help get my bearings installed and such..im not looking for super top brand price but not cheap junk also that will need replacing next year..and opinions on any of this will be very helpful..thanks jason

we have the Milwaukee drivers and drills. both sizes the 12V in the handle battery and the bigger 18V and like them alot, we have had the 18V for 3-4 years and they both work fine, except the drill wont go into high speed anymore after using a 5-inch hole saw on metal, but they can be repaired

Not knowing what tools you might already have and not ,,and if your going to be working on the house or the blaster mostly. I would suggest a small compressor . Something that could run a nail gun/ air ratchet/small sprayer/maybe am impact gun for small bursts/ die grinder/ .. The biggest expense is the compressor itself. The basic air tools u can get pretty cheap for the most part. As long as your not beating on them or running a shop they should last ya. I say air tools because i find myself always using them. Either to clean a carbs ,cutting, grinding, polishing, to filling tires and all kinds of things. I also use it for house stuff like trimming, roofing, spraying, etc etc..Harbor freight i got some cheap air tools that if they lasted for one job i got my moneys worth, yet there still going strong to my surprise. Also a dremel or something like it is good to have for small detailed stuff..

^^^ what he said air power can be your friend we have this small little electric compressor that i can't believe still works..... for sure got our moneys worth

i do have a small air compressor but i think it might be too small.its a craftsman 3 gallon pancake compressor.thats why i was kind of leaning toward electric.i already have a dremel,19v craftsman drill and basic tool sets and socket sets.i was also leaning toward electric because the only downfall i see toward air tools is lugging the compressor where you need to go and do something.but..what size would be decent to use and have the psi to keep up these tools?

We have a 7 gallon gas compressor, and when we use the cut off tool it cant even keep up.

I would say a 20 gallon thats on a stand with wheels I:I

We are hoping on getting a 40 gallon stationary, we have ~100 feet of heavy duty air hose already from when my dad did roofing

Defiantly I:I

33gal just right, sears is probably my best local store for any good tools.

We had a ratchet wrench (craftsman) go bad once, went there and they replaced it without a question. They back-up and craftsmen tools sold :D

I use snap on Matco and craftsman and i have to say craftsman is good for the $$ if something breaks i go to Sears throw the old one in a box grab a new one and I'm off. Very easy.

Cordless impacts are great. Especially when you are not home and the compressor is not around. I use a small 6 gallon 150 psi compressor in my race trailer and although it won't keep up for long it does have enough sack to take nuts off etc. You can never have enough tools. I have a few sets of the makita lithium ion 18v impact cordless drill set and they work really well. Dewalt,rigid all junk.imo

I use craftsman and husky wrenches and hand tools. I also have a set of the makita 18v lit ion drill/Impactdriver. Thats the best drill set I've ever owned. I buy alot of stuff from harbor freight also like screwdrivers, tapes, prybars, etc etc.

I have an old emglo dual tank compressor. My friends step-dad was a hardwood floor installer. After he passed away, his mom gave it to me. It works awesome, and is nice and portable.

I've got a little porter cable pancake compressor seems like I've had forever, I know for sure over 5 years maybe close to 10 and I use it a lot. Can't keep up long with an impact wrench but it works in small spurts. I honestly can't believe I haven't burnt it up cause I use it to winterize houses too and it will run for over an hour straight sometimes to clear out water heaters and the rest of the lines. its an oil free and I think they run about $100. Most my sockets are craftsmen and I've been happy with them. Got stuff from Harbor freight too I think pittsburg wrenches from 3/8 to 1 1/4 for like $15, about 8 years ago, haven't broke one yet.