Question about K&N Air Filter

You may get by with just adjusting the needle clip position. but honestly I wouldn't waste my time with the K&N. They suck too much dust, I know a lot of people say to run a pre-filter and it will catch the fine particles of dust. They are wrong though, the pre-filters are designed to catch the bigger particles to make it easier to keep your filter clean some also shed water and mud off better than the filter itself. If the pre-filter would capture smaller particles of dust than the filter what would be the point of the filter then? Best advice I can give is buy a nice 2-stage UNI foam filter unless there is absolutely no dust at all where you ride.

You may get by with just adjusting the needle clip position. but honestly I wouldn't waste my time with the K&N. They suck too much dust, I know a lot of people say to run a pre-filter and it will catch the fine particles of dust. They are wrong though, the pre-filters are designed to catch the bigger particles to make it easier to keep your filter clean some also shed water and mud off better than the filter itself. If the pre-filter would capture smaller particles of dust than the filter what would be the point of the filter then? Best advice I can give is buy a nice 2-stage UNI foam filter unless there is absolutely no dust at all where you ride.

ya, depends where you ride most, at the dunes an oily foam filter sucks big time, it just gets clogged up with sand, k&ns work perfect for sand thats what i run, for dusty conditions, then a foam filter is probably better.

Yeah just my 2 cents but I think your definetly going to have to re-jet... I used to run K&N in eveyrthing.... But.... after carefully researching I stay with UNI ....

I would suggest to get a Uni Stage 2 as well! Less issues. But then again I dont know your riding conditions.

Yeah, I don't know much about quads , but all racers of Big Block DIRT Modifieds run a K&N air filter and pre-filter, and they keep these 800hp motors cleaner than anything in conditions much dustier than most would ride a quad it. But as far as jetting, If I have a stock jetting of 230( I think thats whats in it now) what should I be looking to change it to for a K&N filter?

I'd say start at 280 or so and work you're way down. But ajames is prob right it should end up around 250-260.

sorry guys, you're wrong. there is no need to rejet the main jet cuz of an air filter.
the main jet only affects the 1/3 to wot range (including the affect on the needle band), usually upgrading the airfilter doesn't lean out the mixture enough to be beyond the capabilities of the stock pilot jet.
if you adjust your air screw in a hair it will richen up the mixture throughout the entire throttle band cuz the pilot circuit is always on.
try turning out your air screw like half turn and check the plug.
also, if you ride in dusty conditions, you want to clean your air filter about every other ride or 3 anyways, k&ns flow more air than unis.....uni is a great filter, but if you've got a choice, i'd go w/ k&n.

Well I want to Vitos and got the clamp on UNI and they gave me a 260 and a 270 main jet to rejet the carbs with. Thats the only performance mod I got so maybe you should rejet it?

sorry guys, you're wrong. there is no need to rejet the main jet cuz of an air filter.
the main jet only affects the 1/3 to wot range (including the affect on the needle band), usually upgrading the airfilter doesn't lean out the mixture enough to be beyond the capabilities of the stock pilot jet.
if you adjust your air screw in a hair it will richen up the mixture throughout the entire throttle band cuz the pilot circuit is always on.
try turning out your air screw like half turn and check the plug.
also, if you ride in dusty conditions, you want to clean your air filter about every other ride or 3 anyways, k&ns flow more air than unis.....uni is a great filter, but if you've got a choice, i'd go w/ k&n.

well you're the only guy ive ever heard say you dont need to do a bit of rejetting so lookin like you're the one thats wrong.

Sorry, you do not need to rejet if your airbox is stock. I just put one in both of my blasters (2001s) an the builders in my area and K&N told me that I would not need to rejet. I have the factory replacement filter that is oval shaped and it runs fine-- I strongly recommend using an outerwear as they all said to use one. I was leary as I needed a filter for my trip to the dunes and was looking for a factory filter or twin air. Top Dog Racing, White Knuckle Racing, a guy from Cascade all told me that I would not have too, but that it would not hurt to do a plug chop. My 2 cents--- all of this was within the last two weeks. Hope this helps.