Question about extending swingarm

stabor1122

Sep 26, 2010
Xenia, Ohio
So I was thinking the other day about playing around with my extra swing arm and possibly extending it (+4) for future use. My question is about the shock mount. It seems to me that if the mount stays in the same location in relation to the pivot that it would raise the rearend of the bike. If you were to cut the arm and extend it between the shock mount and the pivot however and use a longer shock like the YFZ 450 for instance it seems that maybe the rearend would sit closer to the stock height. I am far from a suspension engineer and am just looking to get some opinions on this from those that have some experience doing this type of thing. Does this sound like a good idea or bad? Thanks.

1 inch of shock mount movement back adds up to way more ride height than one would think, when i put a 250r shock on my boys +4 swinger, the ass end raised up around 5/6 inches, i welded 2 "rails" from the old shock mounts still on the swinger to the newer mount that someone added when they extended it, i only had to move the mount hole back the "rail" 1 1/2 inches to set it back down to normal height
so seems 1-2 inches back = 5 - 6 iinches of height

Well it's not real high on my priority list at the moment just looking ahead at posibilities for the future. If I remember right the YFZ shock is roughly 4 inches longer so it just seems that extending 4 inches between the shock mount and the pivot should make it fit perfectly with out extra lift although it would change the angle of the shock. The angle is my main concern with doing it this way. I am just curious how this angle change would affect the shock/handling.

to extend it in front of the stock mount, moving it back 4 inches would prolly require a longer shock than is available to reach it and stay close to stock ride height
every extended swinger i have ever seen required a new mount unless extended behind the stock one

Yeah I know its just a "simple" geometry problem to come up with the right shock length and mounting location. Too bad I didnt pay more attention in that class 17 years ago....lol