Puzzling carb

poochuckerz

Feb 19, 2010
Easton KS
I have a blaster with a 34mm keihin pj carb pilot jet 50 main jet 145. I have tried every grove on the needle. It idles only on choke and dies if u get into the power band. I have pilot jets 65-50 and main jets 145-130. It has a veto's +3 crank, board 66.75, has a v force 3 reeds, cfm air box, and uni foam filter. I beleive it is flooding out but not shore. Let me know what yall think the problem is.:-/

Well I will say I believe that u r gonna need a bigger main jet prolly somewhere around a 155 better to stay on the rich side as far as ya idle prob several folks (myself included shortly) on here run that same carb I will recommend u pm either awk08 or Ken oconnor racing for help. They both are supper great guys and should be able to help you out.

i think its too much carb, i run a 162 main and 55 pilot with my mods. is your air box lid on? if so try taking it off

I have a 160 and 155 main jet and a DGH needle in the mail now so i guess I'll see what they do. At the moment the lid is on my air box but its a cfm aluminum air box. Even a stock box with the lid off wouldn't let in the air this thing does. What slot should the needle be in. I believe i ended up quiting last night with it in the very top slot. Thanks a million guys I would hate to go to a 4 stroke after all the money i put in this thing.

I have a 160 and 155 main jet and a DGH needle in the mail now so i guess I'll see what they do. At the moment the lid is on my air box but its a cfm aluminum air box. Even a stock box with the lid off wouldn't let in the air this thing does. What slot should the needle be in. I believe i ended up quiting last night with it in the very top slot. Thanks a million guys I would hate to go to a 4 stroke after all the money i put in this thing.

so take it off and see what it does.... who cares how much it flows vs stock? the issue here is seeing if YOU are too rich so if you tke the lid off and it runs better then you know you are rich, if not then its another issue..

I disconnected the box last night to see if that was the problem and it ran the same. Still starts and idles only with choke all the way up and as soon as u hit power band it sputters and dies.

pull your gas line off your carb and see if the gas freely flows out. there are little screens in there that may be clogged preventing good gas flow especially at high rpms

Have you tried adjusting the jet circuits individually.... As in 1. Get it to idle (pilot jet), and after you get it to idle 2. Adjust the mid range (needle) 3. Adjust high rpm (Main jet).

You really need to handle these individually instead of trying to tune them as a whole.

So to fix my idleing problem I need to go with a smaller pilot right? I droped it from 65 to 50. When it had the 65 it wouldn't even idle but now it does with the 50 and idle screw all the way up. What size would u recomend for my set up?

A 145 Main jet is too lean. I'd leave the pilot alone for now, put a bigger main in it (155 or 158), turn the air mixture screw out 1.5 turns, and see where that leaves you.

I installed a 50 pilot jet now and i think it has fixed my low end. I also put the DGK needle in at middle clip. High end is still popping and dieing out with a 160 main. Any more ideas?

45 pilot, starts cold only with the choke on, then 1 kick every time after warmed up
choke/idle turned the whole way down, turn the cable adjuster on the carb almost the whole way up, adjust the idle with the throttle cable at the thumb throttle,
155 main, dgh needle on middle slot, airscrew somewhere under 2 turns out

keep in mind you have similar intake mods as me, but what kinda pipe ???
and i also have ken oconnor porting and head mod, so the settings above may still be rich on your bike, but should be a good start

and i'm gonna say it again, use the cable to adjust the idle

Yeah i have no porting done. I do have a full set of dmc exhaust. I had a 145 main jet in but people said that was too lean. Im thinking I may go back to it. So with that said I will try the 50 pilot being thats the smallest i have at the time and the 145 main and see what i got.

Last edited:
Ive noticed the bigger the carb you run, the more air you move, the less jet you take. It seems counterintuitive but I had a 36PWK on and I had way LESS jet to run the same overall as my 28PWK

On my 28 I run a 35 pilot and a 135 main. On my 36 Id run a 30 pilot and a 125 main and I was still too rich on the main by alot.

Jetting isnt universal either. Altitude/Temprature plays a big role. Im at 4800 feet or so. Where do you live?

Ok ill try some more jets. I think i've bought $50 worth of jets now. I live in Kansas and i think our elevation is only around 900 but I could be wrong.

I got the idle screw back to where it sould be (all the way down). I havent tryed a new plug yet but when i pull the old one every time it was soked in gas and dark black but not gummy at all. Luni what upgrade parts are u running bore size and all that. I tried 50 and 138 because thats the smallest i have still no go.

Last edited:
refer to my post above bro, 45 pilot < i've tried them all, 50 is even too rich with my mods, and i'd start with a 155 main, then 148, 145 till it feels good, do the mains after you get the bottom and mids right, any adjustments there will affect the main
start at the bottom and work thru the needle to the main