Putting in a new crank

Dtrap

Nov 13, 2008
Hello, I would like to start by letting you all know that I am new to the site and have recently purchased an older blaster that needs some work. I have been checking out and reading the site for the last month or so and really appreciate all the great info you guys give out. It is a really big help to have a resourse like this to get help on. I like to think of myself as somewhat mechanicaly inclined and like to turn a few wrenches. So I have a few questions before I start to tear it all apart.
1. How hard is it to split the cases and put in a new crank? What are the little tricky parts to watch out for. What all parts should I purchase to do a bottom end rebuild? (new crank +3mm, seals, bearings, etc.)
2. When I have them motor all apart I would like to clean everything on the inside up as best I can. What is the best product to use to clean everything with?
3. Is there anything else I should replace or watch out for as a precaution while I have the cases apart?
That is all I can remember for now but I am sure I will have more as soon as I get into it.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice you might share.
Dustin

your going to want a crank puller/installer tool for sure. a must unless you do what i did(ill post a pic at the end, but trust me, you want the tool lol)

when you get the cases split, slowly take them apart keeping the transmision in one side and together.

your going to want new main bearings and seals, and maybe even do the rest of the bearings, but check them after you get it open.

use brake cleaner to clean it out. dont spin the bearings out with it.

when putting back together, make sure you clean the 2 case halfs on the edges they contact (ALSO carefull when doing any work on the engine not to mark or do anything to those matting surfaces unless you want leaks)

apply the liquid gasket evenly to BOTH halfs, then press together, not just one.

and if you dont have accsess to a hydrolic press, your going to need one to get the bearings out, thats ONLY if the bearings stay in the case halfs and not stick to the crank, both mine stuck to my crank so i was good, but i still use the press to press out the crank.

just take your time.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

There are some vids on youtube from Rocky Mountain that you can look at also to get an idea of what to expect.
I believe I 'd have to whip my boy's a$$ if he was using my turning tools
for something like that.

well heres a guy with a blaster engine that hes rebuilding the nice thing about this it give u an idea on what to expect

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the links and advice. I do already have a repair manual and have fully looked it over and made notes. I hope to start early next week. If anyone thinks of any parts or anything important or even any more advice please let me know. Thanks for the help so far you guys are great.
Dustin