Project: Pump Gas Kick-Ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Time to get my build thread going. I've been plotting this for awhile, but haven't done anything except gather parts. Until now. Finally got the motorcycle running and out of the building, so now there's room to pull the Blaster inside and start stripping things... I'm getting ready to go high-performance, and not just with power. Handling and suspension aren't forgotten. And as the title says, its all gonna run on 93 Octane from the local Shell station. High time some 450's get a reality check! :D

I'm starting with a fairly nice 2005 Blaster that I bought almost new. SO, good brakes and styling came stock. It still runs great and needs nothing. Just time to upgrade and get rid of that factory cast piston in the process.

Not going to do much cosmetically; I can live with the red frame and love the black/white plastics. Just gonna paint a few things, put on a black Gripper seat cover, polish the axle/oil pump cover, and call it a done deal.

Here's how it sits now, looking sad with no exhaust now that the Toomey pipe that was on there has been sold.

045.jpg

Parts I Have:
-Handlebar risers
-Full set of new Maxxis RAZR tires
-Spider grips
-CFM airbox
-G-Force rear axle
-VF3 Reeds
-TM Designworks chain slider kit
-DID 'O' Ring chain
-Aluminum oil pump cover
-Oil injection already blocked off
-TORS system already gone

Parts in the Mail:
-American Star +3 +1 A-arms
-Stainless front brake lines
-Works triple-rate front shocks with piggyback rezzies
-Aluminum front bumper

What's on the Way:
-450r rear shock
-4mil stroker crankshaft (possible Falicon-built crank...need to talk to OConnor racing and see if this is necessary)
-Heavy-duty crank bearings
-CT full exhaust
-UNI air filter
-Wiseco piston kit
-Possible 240 BBK, but not likely as of now due to the current shortage of kits
-Probable aggressive trail port and polish
-34mm PJ or 35mm PWK airstryker carb (depending on engine work)
-Stainless steel rear brake line
-Full frame skid plate
-Colored fuel/vent lines
-Aluminum grab bar
-Swingarm skid plate
-Aftermarket heel guards
-Nerf bars? (Not sure yet...)
-Frame gusset kit (Later on)
-Frame PC job (Later on)

-And probably a few more things I'm forgetting. Basically, I'm gonna build a potent, reliable engine and drop it in a well-handling and trail-friendly chassis. I ride for fun, hit a lot of trails, and really need to embarrass a certain cocky neighbor who thinks his stock YFZ450 is the bomb. Hehe, not for long. Let the build begin. Be patient with me, guys. I'm fixin' to change jobs and IDK how fast this build is gonna progress. But it will be running by the start of summer. I'll post lots of big pics as things come together.

Gotta save something for later! Lol. I'm thinking about an extended swinger, but not 100% sure yet. I'm gonna have the frame PC'd later on, and may do the swinger at the same time this coming winter. I love wheelies and sliding around corners, so IDK if I wanna go extended yet.

Gotta save something for later! Lol. I'm thinking about an extended swinger, but not 100% sure yet. I'm gonna have the frame PC'd later on, and may do the swinger at the same time this coming winter. I love wheelies and sliding around corners, so IDK if I wanna go extended yet.

i was thinking the same thing about wheelies, but if your good with balancing them then it shouldnt be a problem. my swinger is +3 and a-arms are +1 forward and i can still wheelie forever8-|

Update:

Most of the Blaster has been disassembled. I pulled the top end and took a good look inside. Engine was running rich (like I thought), but looks great inside. There are still factory cross-hatch marks visible on the cylinder walls. Pics coming soon.

Front shocks and A-arms will be here this week, and I can't wait to install them. My wife loved the Spider grips, so I put them on her Polaris and will order another set for the my Blasty. No big deal.

Just got off the phone with Ken O'Connor this afternoon. Great guy; patient and real easy to talk to. We talked about my engine build options. No BBK this time around due to the cost to do it right (the only way I'm gonna do something) and a lack of parts on the market. (Not gonna spoil anything, but let's just say if Ken has his way, we're gonna be seeing an end to the piston shortage before too long...)

Here's my weapon:
-Ported stock cylinder
-Head mod
-4mil stroker crank with 115 long rod
-CPI pipe (most likely)
-32mm Mikuni TMX carburetor
-O'Connor Racing engine tear-down and assembly (I want it done right and would rather let him at it...)

Pics coming as parts come in and stuff goes back together.

Stay tuned, guys! Engine is going out in about a week or so for the work...

NICE! Another Oconner Racing machine, IT's a takeover! You won't be disappointed! I didn't see the front shock upgrade, I have to say going from stockers to elkas is like having sex with a fat pig and then riding a model! Smooth and fast!

NICE! Another Oconner Racing machine, IT's a takeover! You won't be disappointed! I didn't see the front shock upgrade, I have to say going from stockers to elkas is like having sex with a fat pig and then riding a model! Smooth and fast!

Hell yeah! Can't wait to try out Ken's work firsthand...I'm actually gonna be running Works Pro Series piggyback shocks, but I think these are very similar to the Elka Stage II. Either way, they're gonna be getting a good workout, what with all the trails and woods I ride.

Sounds like a plan me likie!
Just follow Kens advice on compression and timing and you'll be set I:I

Pics!!

She's a little nakey!! :D

100_2757.jpg

These are very handy when tearing anything with small parts down. Just a basic, plastic fishing lure organizer.

100_2745.jpg

Very clean bottom end...this is why I mix oil at 50:1...look how much oil has still collected down there. If commercial string trimmers can run hard at 10K RPM's all day long...some of them with plastic camshafts driving a valvetrain...with oil mixed 50:1, so can my Blaster.

100_2753.jpg

Clean stock piston...this is what one should look like when you run good oil. Lots of carbon deposits on the crown from rich running aren't normal, but...I never got my 28PWK carb dialed in exactly right. I was happy letting it run rich.

100_2752.jpg

100_2762.jpg

100_2748.jpg

Pile O Parts

100_2758.jpg

Peeing blood... Hehe, nice red Honda HP gearbox oil

100_2766.jpg

Bottom end waiting to be pulled outta the frame and sent to Ken

100_2760.jpg

Very clean bottom end...this is why I mix oil at 50:1...look how much oil has still collected down there. If commercial string trimmers can run hard at 10K RPM's all day long...some of them with plastic camshafts driving a valvetrain...with oil mixed 50:1, so can my Blaster.
The trimmer with valves will run 10000:1 :p

Got these beauties off the 'ol brown truck today!

093.jpg

Brand-new and valved for my riding weight. Can't ask for a better value!

ASR A-arms will be here any day now. When they arrive, the front end is going together and I'll show y'all how things are coming. No progress on assembly as of today. Still waiting on parts to trickle in.

I also talked to my buddy Shane this afternoon, who knows a guy that does powerdercoating. I'm gonna give him a couple rear hubs and see what kind of work he does. If its good, I'm getting the kickstart lever, footpegs, front hubs, brake/sprocket hubs, and heelguards PC'd black. The wheels are gonna be done up in a gloss white. Should look nice with new, black RAZR tires.

The engine is going out to Ken this week for work...Hopefully it will be done about the time I get the rest of the $$ to finish the build.

More to come! Stay tuned....

^^That's what I paid...I don't think you're gonna find a much better deal than that on these shocks. I was torn between these and Stage 1 Elka's...but the way I see it, buying an Elka shock is kinda like buying a John Deere lawnmower. You're paying for the name, especially when there are other brands out there which do the job just as well (or better) for less $$. lol

Yeah I love those man. They will be going on mine also. I just have more important parts I need from 442 first lol its going to ride like ur on cloud 9...

I can't wait to see how these all turn out...I've been following Whitty and 2smoker's builds for awhile now and I think we're gonna have some nice competition for BOTM if we ever get time go git 'em dun...

man, i love those shocks. are teh arms long travel too? gonna be a badass blaster for sho. what are you getting Ken to do to the engine? sorry, if you already posted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.