Preparing a Engine for storage

May 18, 2012
Scotland
Hi guys im wondering whats the best way to prepare a engine for long term storage? i bought my blaster and previous owner just rebuilt it but due to my circumstances im going to have to put quad in long term storage until i get money behind me for to do anything with it/even ride it as i need to get a job to pay for transport so i can take it out as my family is hopeless.

any input would be great

long term storage is approx 8 months+ just don't want to leave it without doing anything and it seizing when its all new parts

it will basically just be my engine and frame for storage as im breaking rest of it ready to upgrade once i have a job and money to do it. may as well break it the now wont be able to ride it as my local track has closed so will need to wait until i have transport of my own to take it further a field and it wont be anytime soon.

If the engine has been assembled and not used, then you need do nothing special as the assembly oil will protect it.

If it has been run, then a few squirts of 2 stroke oil into the plug hole and kick the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder.

you can also use fogging oil to coat the cylinder and internal parts through the spark plug hole.

drain the fuel in the carb bowl and either drain the tank or add stabilizer to it

plug exhaust so no critters get in

lube chain

If the engine has been assembled and not used, then you need do nothing special as the assembly oil will protect it.

If it has been run, then a few squirts of 2 stroke oil into the plug hole and kick the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder.

Thanks Blaaster it will be getting ran but just to make sure it fires up basically. im waiting on a tors removal kit coming and once fitted im going to see if it runs if not il find problem basically il be getting engine running then leaving it for storage. il pop some 2 stroke in plug hole just to be safe and im also considering bring engine into house so its in a warmer place than shed if that makes a difference ? lol

you can also use fogging oil to coat the cylinder and internal parts through the spark plug hole.

drain the fuel in the carb bowl and either drain the tank or add stabilizer to it

plug exhaust so no critters get in

lube chain

Thanks mate exhaust will be sold but im bringing the engine into my bedroom for time being as it will be last thing to go in frame after doing the mods i plan to do as il need to powdercoat frame etc

i used to put a cap full of 10w30 oil in spark pug hole in my cr125 a longggg time ago.
but that was only for the winter/and it was stored in my basement lol.

if the engine is in a climate controlled environment then that would be best for it:)
plus some oil 2 or 4 stroke lol

i do believe seals go bad from sitting to long....but im not positive cuz i try to fire em up often:D