possible projects?

'blanshee'man

Sep 15, 2008
Im taking a year a off from school before i go to get my engineering degree. So in the off year my teacher talked PLTW into giving me a "summer" project challenge, so they can give me more support when i go back to school at North Eastern or WPI. I need to make a marketable product in field/market i choose, so im thinking about making some stuff for blasters. Ill have to pay for any metal stock and any materials but, I get to use all the shop tools and the schools engineering software. They want a usable product by the end of 10 months. Not the longest time frame ever but ill have to make due. I still have about month to decide what i want to make and what problem i want solve, but more time the better.

Ive been trying decide what i want to build. So far ive thought of, nerf bars w/ netting heel stop like the pros use. Some sort of swing arm, like a round house or standard, of course it would be a +3 or 4 and extended travel, and if i choose a round house, i would design a bearing carrier as well or have it with a after market carrier already available. The though of a-arms had also crossed my mind, but thats alot of geometry to work out, they would also be extended in some way. Ive also though about an arm design that fixed the camber of the wheel and tire, so that when compressed it would the same as when neutral. How ever that would be ton of work and i would more than likely go over my time frame. we have a CNC machine so i could make clutch covers and such but that wouldn't be much of a project.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Remember, it needs to be a working model that i can demonstrate for them, it doesn't have to work better haha it just cant perform worse than stock. Im leaning towards the the nerf bar project, or the swing arm and round house double bearing carrier project. what do you guys think??

a arms would be nice. or u should do a full body skid. and make it hinge where the a arms and swinger are. that would be titties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if u use this i gave u the idea!

How bout bolt on, quick adjust, front shock mounts so you could change ride height or use different shocks. Shouldn't be too difficult with CNC access & wouldn't cost much in material.

If you're good a measuring and have some good CAM software I would really like a set of machined cases with Blaster mount points that would accept a Blaster tranny & counter balancer along with a stroked YZ250 crank, water pump & top end. :D

hahaha, actually engine work and mods was something i told myself i wouldn't do. Waaaay to much R&D for me lol. But then again, if the price is right, anything is possible.

Yup, just dreaming. I did CNC programming for years. Now I'm an old man in the woods with a file. Use your imagination & all the tools they allow. You'll have a blast.

yea make ajustable shock mouts that have some type of quick release monts so you can just slide it to another use a cotter pin i think there called the bolts with a hole and a pin through them!

Hmmm ill definitely add that to the list of possibility's samolia. i'd do it just to say i did haha

how about liquid cooling..like drill some slots in the air fins to slid something thought em to have some fflowing liquid to cool it. get it?

the wating cooling idea would be pretty cool you could do it with metal and rubber gas lines lol !!!!! but if you got all those toolsid do it really profensial and the electric starte thing would be pretty cool!

I'd make a wicked front bumper no one else would have or maybe a nice rear grab bar.
A while back I did hand made some adjustable shock mounts.
I scrapped them after the ASR's went on though lol.
IM000475.jpg

good idea but people have already have made there on bumper and grab bar id do something nobody else has! i really like the water cooled idea!!!!!!!!

oooo a custom bumper would be awesome, i like that too. hmmm the water cooled idea is good, but i dont see it needing to be built in auto desk and cnc machined. You could probably do it at home easily. Just cut Brackets for pump and what not, some tubing and fittings and a drill w/ a long enough bit. but i will keep that in mind as well.

Build a blasteer frame with no welds made of chromely or aluminum. what i mean by no welds is bolt it together like a DS 450? or make me some A arms? just kidding:). the nerfs sound good.