Plug chop pic

Racer51

May 19, 2011
Northwest Ohio
So I got a plug chop for you guys I need looked at. This is the plug that was already in it from the previous owner. I just wanna know how much this thing was pounded into the ground before I got it So I can guestimate how much damage there is/was. It's my 04 blaster that I cant get running at all :( so I cant take it out and do a WOT 6th gear plug chop besides it's snowing pretty hard and would be pointless anyway. The brown ring is like the inside of a Milkyway bar dark brown incase you cant see it that well. The jetting was at 230 main and 32.5 pilot when I had the carb apart if that helps. Thanks guys
312b51i.jpg

xlcsoi.jpg

that plug isnt going to tell you much. need to do the plug chop after warming the bike up and then installing a new plug and holding it wot for a few seconds while riding it in 5th or 6th gear

Looks nice an a hair rich on the main! but hard to tell with a plug that has been ran on for a while. Put a new one in there and chop with a that, for a more true reading!

Yea I know surfrjag but I was hopeing to get an accurate opionion on the old one because I cantget it to start. I dont know if it's a weak ignition coil firing strong randomly. Or if it might be the plug boot. or something stupid but I've only gotten it to start 3 times since i got it in september. And I had to kick it over a million times as fast as I could just to get it to koff the smoke out the pipe once or twice, still does nothing..........

mmm well check for spark, put a plug in the boot, ground the thread of the plug onto the head fins and kick it, watch the plug for a nice clean spark.

if that looks good, have a look at the reeds, clean the carb and filter.

Did that on 2 B8ES gold plugs and got a bluish purple spark on both and a blue spark on the one I just decapitated. The reeds are brand new VF3's no time at all on them. I cleaned everything in the carb execept the choke and the super long brass piece that's fitted in the center all the way through. Other than that the carb is super clean with all new hoses when I went to get the reeds. So I figured I'd do that while I was installing the reeds while I had it off anyway just to look clean and organized. As well as new jets the 32.5 pilot stayed and I added a 260main to compensate for the FMF set up with the VF3's at 610 ele. filter wasent really dirty so I dident bother besides the whole back end plastics/intake is off so I can get at it easier. I dont know if that makes a diff.

Compression test??? No compression it will never start! You installed VF3's , do an airleak down test?

well...no, should i actually it's has been on my mind for a while.....I'll go and check it in a few hopefully it's sheared so I know that that's what was wrong

compression test and a leakdown test to determine the general health of the motor first. Then we'll go from there.

Also have you verified fuel flow to the carb? Fresh fuel? Is the plug wet when you pull it out?

Did that on 2 B8ES gold plugs and got a bluish purple spark on both and a blue spark on the one I just decapitated. The reeds are brand new VF3's no time at all on them. I cleaned everything in the carb execept the choke and the super long brass piece that's fitted in the center all the way through. Other than that the carb is super clean with all new hoses when I went to get the reeds. So I figured I'd do that while I was installing the reeds while I had it off anyway just to look clean and organized. As well as new jets the 32.5 pilot stayed and I added a 260main to compensate for the FMF set up with the VF3's at 610 ele. filter wasent really dirty so I dident bother besides the whole back end plastics/intake is off so I can get at it easier. I dont know if that makes a diff.

Choke cuircuit is used in the starting process, could it be blocked?

Compression test??? No compression it will never start! You installed VF3's , do an airleak down test?
140 PSI consistiantly mabey 3psi higher on occassion, on std bore "most likely" I dont have a fancy schmancey leakdown tester lol that's the only thing I dont have in my arsenal of tools How much are yours?......I dont suppose I could rent one if there pricey.
Also have you verified fuel flow to the carb? Fresh fuel? Is the plug wet when you pull it out?
Yea that I have to dump the fuel out of the bowl everytime I have it apart like 5 times now.......The plug is IDK not swamped with fuel but there's a drop or two on the electrode tip but that's it.
Idk know if this helps but I replaced the old O ring that sips under the brass piece because It was old and caused the bike to dump fuel after I checked it out, IDK if it's to tight of an o-ring in but I thought it should bee snug. and so far it hasen't dumped any fuel except when I tip the carb over far enough to drain it(shrug)
Choke cuircuit is used in the starting process, could it be blocked?
Not a clue 7/10 times it's the jets that are blocked for me. But if it can be blocked and totally screw it up I'll make that my project for tomorrow.

where did the fmf pipe come from ?? new or used ??? possible blockage ???

pull the head pipe off the cylinder and see if it'll fire like that, but only for a few seconds, don't run it like that

Sounds awesome, I'll cry if that's the problem I went and got this bike 9/11/11 of this year and haven't even rode it once since i've had it. I ran it for like 10 mabey 15 minitues just to hear it when I got it home and than went to work. If it is You can bet your ass it'll be in BOTM :D

Sounds awesome, I'll cry if that's the problem I went and got this bike 9/11/11 of this year and haven't even rode it once since i've had it. I ran it for like 10 mabey 15 minitues just to hear it when I got it home and than went to work. If it is You can bet your ass it'll be in BOTM :D

i'd also check to see if the carb had flooded the bottom end with fuel, it'll never start like that
while you have the pipe off, watch for raw fuel spewing out while kicking it, or tow it around in gear with the ignition off and throttle wide open to clear the bottom end

just a few obscure causes of not starting, when the plug is showing spark,
carb confirmed clean, compression is good, leakproof, and pull that flywheel and check the key

140 PSI consistiantly mabey 3psi higher on occassion, on std bore "most likely" I dont have a fancy schmancey leakdown tester lol that's the only thing I dont have in my arsenal of tools How much are yours?......I dont suppose I could rent one if there pricey.

They are $30 shipped! For rent all ya have to do is pay shipping both ways! about $11 total. Pm if interested I:I

I'll get ahold of you with a forshure answer friday or sat cause I get paid friday. Cause I could rent one now But I wanna see If I can just buy it instead ok.

I checked the starter plunger/choke to the best of knowledge there wasent anything in there.But now that I'm lookn through my manual would the main nozzle do this to? IDK cause I couldent get it to come out. If you reccomend taking that out how I tried hard and I couldent get it to come out I diddent want to use a rubber hammer and a screwdriver and tap it out.

I'll get ahold of you with a forshure answer friday or sat cause I get paid friday. Cause I could rent one now But I wanna see If I can just buy it instead ok.

I checked the starter plunger/choke to the best of knowledge there wasent anything in there.But now that I'm lookn through my manual would the main nozzle do this to? IDK cause I couldent get it to come out. If you reccomend taking that out how I tried hard and I couldent get it to come out I diddent want to use a rubber hammer and a screwdriver and tap it out.

No problem! I'm here everyday!

Looks nice an a hair rich on the main! but hard to tell with a plug that has been ran on for a while. Put a new one in there and chop with a that, for a more true reading!
Hey guys,just checking this thread,cause im gettn ready to plug chop first time trying it,nvr heard of it before,even guys at work are like wtf? Lol..but anyway im curious as to what the best number of threads are to be left on the plug to be able to tightn it back down after plug us chopped,i think this is a pretty cool trick to verify things !